sprinklerl noise

Old 07-12-03, 08:16 AM
retlveit
Visiting Guest
Question sprinklerl noise

Howdy all!

I installed the lawn sprinklers in my new house four years ago, and I've always had a "rattle", or "knock". The sprinklers are on three zones; the first zone is particularly loud, the middle zone is almost quiet and the last zone is somewhat like a hum. When up stairs the noise seems to radiate from the refrigerator's ice maker copper tubeing; when downstairs can't really tell where its comings from, other than I hear it, particularly the first zone.

I'm pretty sure this is "water knock", but I don't know where to put water to soften it.

Would 'preciate any comments

Thanks,

TomRogers

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-03, 12:24 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
sprinkler noise

When sprinkler systems are designed, there is a number that must be taken into consideration when sizing the pipe. The number is 5, as in feet per second velocity. When water is pressurized in a pipe, it moves along at a certain velocity, depending on amount of water and how much pressure. When that velocity exceeds 5 ft. per second, you will have water hammering. This is usually dealt with by using the next largest pipe
size.
Water hammering occurs even more so in systems that use fast closing or opening valves, such as sprinkler systems. The real problem here, though, is still the fact that the piping is too small for the pressure and volume.
Water hammer creates large pressure waves when it occurs, so that's why you seem to hear it all over the place.
Use of arrestors may help your problem, but location means everything. Locate someone who has experience along these lines.
Good luck,
Ron Peeks
R.L. Peeks Pump Sales
www.peekspump.com