leaky laundry room

Old 07-12-03, 11:24 AM
al45
Visiting Guest
leaky laundry room

I noticed water dripping through the a/c vent in my laundry room. The immediate area of ceiling around the vent was also wet and discolored. An upstairs hall bathroom sits directly over the laundry room. I checked the toilet, sink, & tub for any potential leaks but could not find any. Also checked the master bath and could not find any leaks. I went up into the attic and noticed wet sheetrock. There are large PVC pipes in this area. Here's my problem. The area is blocked off by 2x4s and insulation and I can't actually see where the leak may be coming from. What's the best way to proceed without causing a major problem? The leak is small and I don't want it to become a major expense. Could the leak still be originating somewhere in the upstairs bathroom? Since it's a weekend, are there any preventive measures I can take besides placing a bucket under the leak? Hit me at [email protected]

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-03, 12:06 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the water is of sufficient quantity to come that far from the enclosed space, tearing out the sheetrock to have a look is little damage compared to what may already exist. It seems that your detective work has already led you to the most likely spot. If you don't check, almost anyone you hire to check will be making an opening. If you look and find the source, that will be the best place to place a bucket or make repairs, as the case may be. It may well be that all the wet sheetrock will need to be replaced, anyway.

HTH

Old 07-13-03, 01:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

You may have a drain or supply line leak, or it could be condensation in the laundry room.
The attic problem could be a leak around a vent pipe boot on the roof or it could be condensation.
As Chris said, you're going to have to open up some drywall to find out.
Good Luck!