Basement Bathroom DWV Layout

Old 07-13-03, 01:44 PM
dachrist
Visiting Guest
Basement Bathroom DWV Layout

I am preparing a drawing to take to my municipality to apply for a permit to put in a basement bathroom. This is what I have come up with. Ignore the "=" symbols, had to put them in so that the drawing came out right. Does anyone see a problem with it before I take it in? The main line from the toilet to the sewage pump will be 3". The piping from the lav and the shower will be 2". All of the piping will be under the slab, with each fixture having a 2" vent. All the vents will be tied together in the basement, then run up into the attic to tie into the main house vent. Is it ok to have the vent for the shower to come off vertically from the 2" drain with a 2" T and then run horizontal for a foot, then go vertical in the wall? The horizontal portion will be under the slab.

==========Vent
=======WC===|
======== \___|__________________ Sewage Pump
=====Vent========/
==Lav==|========/
===\___|_______/
===== Vent=====/
=======|======/
Shower=|=====/
===\___|_____/

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-03, 10:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The line that comes off from the mainline and catches the shower and lavatory, should be 3" until you get past where the shower vent comes off by code here in my area, but other than that everything you show will work... All you can do is take it to the department and have them approve it or not... The general idea of what you have drawn will work and would be code if sized properly and the vent can come off for the shower in the way you describe...

In my area, you could vent that whole system with one 1.5" vent anyway... The vent from the toilet would just stay 3" and run past the shower... There you would wye off with a 3" x 2" wye and catch the shower trap, then out of the back of the wye, you would reduce to 2" and turn up behind the lavatory and turn out a 2" x 1.5" sanitary tee behind the lav for the trap, and then above the sanitary tee, reduce to 1.5" and run it out the roof or to the attic to tie on to existing vents...

Old 07-15-03, 06:54 PM
dachrist
Visiting Guest
Thanks..I took the drawing in today, and they approved it. The inspector said a 2" line catching the shower and the sink would be ok, but the line from the toilet has to be 3". He also said that I don't really need the vent off the shower, because the lav vent will be within 5' of it. But is it bad to have too many vents?

Old 07-15-03, 06:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Better too many than too few... You can't have too many vents... If the effort is not too great, leave the extra vent especially since it sounds like you might be going small on the shower / sink drain branch...