Bathroom water leak...HELP!!!!

Old 07-14-03, 12:37 PM
lightfoot44
Visiting Guest
Bathroom water leak...HELP!!!!

I noticed a water leak in our finished garage, which must be coming from the shower in the bathroom above. It seems to be running along the drywall in the garage, and seeping underneath it. It only happens when the shower is used, and not all the time, only sometimes. It has me totally baffled as to what the problem might be. We have a single handle pull and turn type faucet with a diverter spout in the tub. There are no leaks inside the bathroom, but only in the garage directly underneath it. I have nightmares of having to rip up drywall in the garage, which would be one hell of a mess. Could it be a cartridge in the faucet, or something I might be able to fix from inside the tub? Or is this a major messy job looming in the near future???? I would appreciate any help anyone can give me....

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-03, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Try the cartridge 1st, and if thats not it, good chance it might be the drain it's self, of course to fix this is to open the ceiling up below the drain, there are others areas this could come from also.

Since there is water in the ceiling now, best to remove the wet stuff so it will air out and you will stop the mold from forming.

Old 07-14-03, 01:40 PM
lightfoot44
Visiting Guest
There are no water stains or marks on the garage ceiling...only water seeping out under the bottom of the vertical drywall in the garage. I had this problem last year, and it disappeared, then reappeared again this year after my parents were using the shower. They used the shower for at least 3 days before i noticed any water seepage on the garage floor. Needless to say, this is a major league headache....and i suspect difficult to diagnose....thanks though for any help.

Old 07-14-03, 01:44 PM
Do the cartridge and also pull and reset the shower arm that comes out the wall.

Old 07-14-03, 02:08 PM
lightfoot44
Visiting Guest
I suspected the shower arm might be a possibility...We have copper pipes. How is the shower arm connected to the copper pipe? Is it a screw on connector to the copper pipe, or is it saudered? I'm concerned about trying to twist the shower arm to get it off and making matters worse...Thanks for your help

Old 07-14-03, 02:30 PM
It screws into a fitting in the wall.