2nd Floor Washer & Dryer Install

Old 07-15-03, 10:58 AM
kdrofwdc
Visiting Guest
Question 2nd Floor Washer & Dryer Install

Hi:

We are thinking about putting a compact washer/dryer up on our 2nd floor (currently units are in the basement). The location is currently a closet, directly adjacent to a bathtub and shower, with good access to the plumbing.

I'm looking for any advice on things to consider - it's a 70 year old house, and I'm worried about having enough drainage capacity, etc., for the washer (the current configuration drains into a laundry sink, but there's no room for that up there)

Any advice?

Thanks,
Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-03, 07:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

You will probably need 120v and 240v receptacles for the washer and dryer.
You will need hot and cold water supply lines, and a trapped and vented 2" drain line tied into the existing drain/waste/vent system.
Good Luck!

Old 07-16-03, 07:24 AM
P
I'm not a plumber, but I would think installing a floor pan tied to the drain might be a good idea. If you have a leak of any kind it would prevent major damage to the ceiling and walls below.

Just a thought.

Old 07-16-03, 08:06 AM
You will also need to vent the dryer. Can you get to the attic from the "closet" ceiling?

What kind of drain are you planning to hook up to? Galvanized? Cast? PVC?
You are right to be concerned about drainage capacity.

And PenguinDave is right. Youdefinitely want a floor pan on an upper floor.

Old 07-16-03, 08:23 AM
kdrofwdc
Visiting Guest
Wow - thanks for all your quick replies!

Here are a few more details:

- The closet has very easy access to the attic for the dryer vent. But is it OK to vent the dryer out to the roof, or do I need to vent it someplace more accessable (i.e., to clean it out?).

- Not sure about the drain, but I am pretty sure it is galvanized.

- The floor pan with drain sounds like a good idea - but I assume that means tearing up the floor to put in the drain. Yikes, I was hoping to keep this simple.

- About the drain pipe (hard to explain this without a picture) imagine the layout is as follows:
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 0
then the current closet is, say, at 1, the bathtub is at 345, the plumbing for the bathtub is at 2. There is an access panel to the pipes for the tub. But, the toilet, and therefore the "main" drain/waste/vent is at 0. I guess the tub drains under the floor to connect up to the toilet drain pipe. So - where would one put the 2" drainpipe?

Thanks for any help!

Dan

Old 07-16-03, 10:16 AM
P
You can look at the links for some more info on the type of thing I was thinking of.

http://www.floodsaver.com/27_Specs.htm

http://www.mustee.com/pdf/durapan/model99.pdf

http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/sh...0&prodgrpid=63

Most sit on the existing floor and only one hole in the floor for the drain is needed.

Old 07-19-03, 03:06 PM
higs
Visiting Guest
Question 2nd floor laundry

What is the basic rules for traps and vents in this case? How far can the trap be from the top of the stand pipe and how far from the trap can the vent be?