smell/pressure

Old 07-18-03, 11:11 AM
burkely7
Visiting Guest
smell/pressure

I have a private well in which the pump and tank have been replaced within the past year. Last year, I had smelly (rotten egg) water, both hot and cold. A plumbing company installed a small mechanism on the top of the well that sprayed a mist of water into the well and seemed to be a good solution.

About two weeks ago, the smell returned and I realized that I turned the water to the mechanism off by accident. So, I unscrewed the mechanism, with the intent of chlorinating the well. I changed my mind and decided to turn the mechanism back on and see what happened. When I did, there was hardly any pressure in my water.

Any suggestions on getting the pressure back? Also, should I chlorinate the well while I'm messing with it?
Thanks for your assistance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-03, 02:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

What type of well and pump do you have? Shallow well? Deep well? Submersible pump down in well? Above ground pump?
You need to describe what you have so that someone can help you.
Ron (Pumpman) Peeks is the resident wells-and-pumps expert, and until he comes along, you can visit his site at www.peekspump.com and another at www.jessstryker.com

Old 07-18-03, 03:14 PM
burkely7
Visiting Guest
I have a 265' deep well with a submersible pump.
The casing is 123' in depth.

Old 07-18-03, 03:19 PM
burkely7
Visiting Guest
Also, I found a website which recommends chlorinating wells once a year. Do you recommend that treatment as well?

Old 07-18-03, 06:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

Not unless you have a good reason to believe that it has become contaminated.

Old 07-19-03, 06:41 AM
P
smell/pressure

Sulfer water is usually treated by constant chlorination and use of an activated charcoal filter (to scrub the chlorine back out of the water). I don't understand what the water spraying mechanism is all about.
As for the pressure loss, did you do anything that could have affected the pressure while you worked on the well, like closing or opening different valves, etc.?
Ron Peeks
R.L. Peeks Pump Sales
www.peekspump.com