low pressure in whole house

Old 07-20-03, 07:56 AM
dinosaur
Visiting Guest
low pressure in whole house

over the past few years our water pressure has decreased. The water company finally believed me and came out to test our water pressure. They agreed it was low and told us to contact a plumber. What could be the possible causes of this and can we fix it ourselves?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-03, 08:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do you know what type the pipe is between the meter and the house? Copper, galvanized, How old is the house, what type of pipe is under the house?

Old 07-20-03, 08:13 AM
dinosaur
Visiting Guest
The house was built in 1985 and as far as I know it is all PVC and copper

Old 07-20-03, 08:24 AM
There could be a pressure reducing valve in the line, and the screen inside it plugged up, see if you can find it, might be buried in ground in front of your water meter.

Old 07-20-03, 08:28 AM
dinosaur
Visiting Guest
The water meter is in our basement and we already checked for a pressure valve. We don't have one.

Old 07-20-03, 08:49 AM
dinosaur
Visiting Guest
Something else I just thought of. When the water is first turned on it seems to come out of the tap at a good pressure then drop almost immediately. Also, I have noticed when I am watering the lawn that the pressure seems to go up and down.

Old 07-20-03, 08:53 AM
Look for a pressure reducer valve.

Old 07-20-03, 09:08 AM
dinosaur
Visiting Guest
Where would we find a pressure valve if not at the meter? We have galvanized pipe coming in to a shut off valve, galv pipe to the meter, then galv and copper going to another shut off valve. That's it.

Old 07-20-03, 09:53 AM
You just told me you thought it was all pvc pipe, if you have galvanized pipe from the meter to the house, then it could be just that, if so then install a new water line.

Old 07-20-03, 10:00 AM
dinosaur
Visiting Guest
Thanks, I'll give that a try and see what happens.

Old 07-20-03, 10:31 AM
ifix
Visiting Guest
pressure problem

Since you experiance higher pressure when you first open a faucet, this suggests that your service is restricted in some way. Plumber 2000 suggested a pressure reducing regulator and I agree.
However, this situation could be caused by any restriction in the service line or in the tap line from the water main going to the meter. Before you go to the hassle of replacing the entire service line to your house, I suggest that you disconnect your service line immediately downstream of the meter and check static pressure and then the flow rate. A qualified contractor may be necessary if you don't have the necessary equipment. If the utility allows it, you can also check the pressure and flow rate at the inlet side of the meter at the same time. The utility may actually be able to help you with this. Also the meter itself could be partially stopped with some foreign material. Good Luck!

Old 07-20-03, 02:01 PM
dinosaur
Visiting Guest
Thanks, I'll get a contractor out to check those things out.