new house....big problems

Old 07-20-03, 04:58 PM
chadwool
Visiting Guest
Unhappy new house....big problems...gurgling sinks and stinch

Here's the issue: Bought this house built in 1936...mostly updated. 4 bathrooms. 2 were added to original. In one of the original baths, we completely remodeled, moved the sink to another wall...left toilet and tub where they were. Now...when you flush toilet, the sink gurgles. Sometimes...when the dishwasher is running the toilet wont flush at all...acts like it is clogged. Also in this bath....on two occasions now...when dishwasher was running....a horrible smell seems to be coming from this sink....don't notice it everytime dishwasher runs...but yesterday it was rancid and the whole house reeked.

Also...in master bath...hear gurgling in jacuzzi tub when flushing toilet...(sometimes)...also here gurgling in sink number 2 when running sink number 1 (both in master bath).

On another bath altogether....toilet flushes real slow...like it doesn't want to go down....had line snaked by plumber...he said it was clogged bad and may need replacing soon.

Could this be the cause of all the other problems.?
Appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Regards.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-03, 06:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sounds like the fixtures are not properly vented.

Old 07-20-03, 07:08 PM
chadwool
Visiting Guest
the new sink...that is gurgling has an odd feature under the vanity....at least I've never seen it....it has a pvc pipe coming up with some kind of filter attached to it....not sure if that should have been vented up higher or not....I know very little about this. Is it a problem or could I just live with it...or should I have the plumber back out to do it right?

Old 07-20-03, 07:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The stoppage could certainly cause all the smell and gurgling problems... The "filter" is actually an auto vent and it should be just fine... Doesn't really need to be any higher to work... It can get hung up however and cause the vent to not work properly... Unscrew it if you can access it and run some bleach water through it to clean it out and then reinstall it... Otherwise, have a plumber look at that stoppage for you and don't worry about the other until the drain it running well...

None of the other can be diagnosed properly if the system is not draining well...