setic tank to house

Old 07-21-03, 12:04 PM
brombergerj
Visiting Guest
setic tank to house

In the process of building and trying to plan each stage of the process to make the next step easier. I'll soon have an 8' wrap around porch on the house. I just got my slab poured on the first floor of staked logs are up. Before I backfill, and before the porch goes on, I would like to run my water supply line through the basement wall and out approx 10 ft so my plumber can pick it up. I've got a pre fab basement wall so, it will need to be drilled with a diamond drill bit. I think I'm OK on my water line, but unsure about how I should do the septic. The plumber suggested using 4" PVC, the inspectors want to see a "sleeve" around this 4' pipe. I believe I should angle the pipe down 1/8"-1/4" from the outer wall towards the tank. What kind of "Sleeve" would accomodate this angle... I don't want to screw this up. Furthermore, do I want to line this up "as the crow flies" to the tank, or not worry about additional angles? The plumber insists that he can do this work after the backfill and the deck are complete. This makes very little sense to me... he wants to do the entire rough-in.....I figure, how hard can this be.
Any advise?
Jo

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-03, 12:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

All drain lines, including the septic line, should be sloped 1/4" per linear foot toward the system. The "sleeve" can be angled the same as the line.
The 4" PVC is a good choice, and "as the crow flies" is O.K. The plumber can adjust it to line up with the septic tank, as necessary.
It doesn't have to be perfect, or even straight for that matter.
My septic line has a 90 degree elbow in it between the house and the septic tank, and it's worked great for 26 years.
Let the plumber do his thing. It should be fine.
I would use a 1" water line for volume, BTW.
Good Luck!

Old 07-21-03, 12:23 PM
T
It takes about 15" to drill a 5" hole through a 8" concrete wall. Diamond tipped core bits are wonderfull.
I didn't have to sleeve the 4" PVC when I built my house. All I needed to do is drill a 6" whole in the foundation.
The water pipe was actually brought in through the floor underneath the foundation (I have a well).
Typically the line from the house to the septic is as short as possible.

Old 07-22-03, 05:58 AM
brombergerj
Visiting Guest
septic

Thanks guys, Good info. I drilled the hole for my water line last night with the diamond drill bit....what a beautiful thing. Worked like a charm. I put a 1" line in there with a 1 3/4" outside diameter PVC pipe used as my sleeve. I still need to drill a smaller hole for the electric line that will run from the pump. I was thinking about getting a 4" coupling and filing out the middle bead so my 4" line can pass right thru it. Sound like a plan?

Old 07-23-03, 07:22 PM
Cool

Sounds like it should work to me.

Old 07-23-03, 07:33 PM
You won't be able to get a 4" piece of pipe to go through a coupling very easily even with the "stop" gone... Just get a 6" coupling or a short piece of 6" pipe from Lowe's... HD doesn't usually carry it, but Lowe's usually does... Also, the grade on the 4" main can usually be reduced to 1/8" per foot, so don't get carried away on trying to slope it so much... Just stick a 10' piece of 4" straight out the wall, or toward the tank if you like, inside the 6" sleeve and the plumber can then do his thing... If you are putting in the section to allow the building of a porch, don't forget that you may need a cleanout pretty close to the house where it goes out to meet code...

And as for your last question... "How hard can it be?", I will assume that to be a rhetorical question... .....