Water Hammer makes my confused

Old 07-23-03, 05:40 AM
Peter Poon
Visiting Guest
Water Hammer makes my confused

Hi,

I think I have read enough about what water hammer is, but one thing I don't know is how can it happens just overnight and spread like a virus. It first started affecting my upstair bathroom faucet and I think I located it in the ceiling of my powder room. Then I noticed that the powder room faucet is being affected, but the water hammer comes from somewhere upstair! The kitchen faucet is between the powder room and the bathroom and is now having the hammer in somewhere.

What seems to cause all these, I am confused.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-03, 05:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

If you're on public water, check for a Pressure Reducing Valve that may need rapir, adjusting or replacement. Sound like a water pressure jump.

Old 07-23-03, 10:00 AM
Peter Poon
Visiting Guest
Thanks, however, before I can find out anything from the City, can I just back off a bit on my main supply tap?

Old 07-23-03, 10:57 AM
T
Water hammer will generally start slowly then get worse.
Did you try shutting off the main water supply, then opening the faucets on the second floor, and faucets on the lowest level (basement preferably). That will allow the water to drain from the lines and from the air chambers which you hopefully have.

Old 07-23-03, 07:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Backing off at the main tap will only reduce VOLUME, the PRESSURE will not change... So if pressure is your problem (and it sounds like it is), then that won't fix your problem... First check your pressure with a $10 pressure guage from Home Depot that screws onto your outside faucet... Check it on the front of your house as well as the back... If the pressure is too high (over 80 pounds), get a new PRV... If the pressure is normal, begin to change out the washers in the offending faucets...

Old 07-24-03, 07:38 AM
Peter Poon
Visiting Guest
Thanks, guys,

I will try it this week-end.

Bye.

Old 07-24-03, 11:27 AM
You may also need to check shutoff valves that turn water off to multiple locations. I had a water hammer problem and could not figure it out. I changed all the washer in all the baths, tub, etc. but turned out the shutoff to the hot water heater was the problem. THe screw which holds the washer in place was broken. I would check this out.