Basement Plumbing

Old 07-23-03, 09:49 AM
Mihunt
Visiting Guest
Basement Plumbing

I am in the process of finishing my basement. What a task! My house was built three years ago, and even tho the basement wasn't finished, it does have the toilet, sink, and tub drains sticking up out of the poured concrete floor, and capped. My question is... are these drains already vented? I have been told by someone that is a former builder that they are, but I would like to make sure. Is there a way to tell?
Thanks for the help in advance everyone.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-03, 11:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Yes. If it was built 3 years ago, it had to be inspected by a building inspector to recent code, so I would bet that they're properly vented or it wouldn't have passed.
The tub/shower drain will have a trap in the floor (you should be able to see water in it with a flashlight after you open it up and pour water down it), but the other two will not because a toilet has a built-in trap, and you put a trap under the sink. The vents will be after the traps.
Good Luck!

Old 07-23-03, 04:44 PM
Mihunt
Visiting Guest
Thanks OG!
I just got a reply from the building company also, and they say it is rough plumbed complete. So I guess I am good to go

Old 07-23-03, 07:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I hate to say it, but you should be able to SEE atleast one pipe that is not capped that comes up from the floor though... It will be atleast 1.5" but more likely would be 2" pipe... It should go all the way up and tie in to a vent in the attic or go out the roof if it is run correctly... In my area, the pre-roughed baths are usually not vented... they are left capped off with the intent of terminating them with a Studor vent later, which would have passed inspection... I would have a plumber come look at it or post a couple pics here that show the situation...