BASIC plumbing questions

Old 07-24-03, 03:46 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
BASIC plumbing questions

Ok, here goes. My bathroom sink was leaking. I got the brilliant idea that I could fix it myself. I still think I can, but I need a little help. I'm a math guy, not a plumbing guy, so I don't know the technical terms, but here goes. Under my sink, splitting off the drainpipe is a nut that's part of the assembly that allows the sink to be stopped with that little knob above. The nut was cracked and leaking. Lowes didn't have just the replacement nut, so I had to replace the whole drain from the bottom of the sink to the top of the "U" drainpipe. Everything LOOKS right, but a small amount of water is leaking from where the sink meets the new pipe. There is a rubber seal there. Is it possible that I screwed it on too loosely (doubtful) or too tightly (would that cause a leak?)? Or is it more likely that water is running thru the threads just under this rubber seal (my personal guess). Next, what do I do about it?

I know this is a really basic question, but I just need a little help.

Thanks,
Thad

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-03, 05:29 PM
BSparks294
Visiting Guest
Did you place plumber's putty underneath the metal flange that contacts the sink inside the bowl? A small bead of putty is used, then tighten the rubber bushing down as tight as it takes to stop the leak. It may be pretty tight. You might need a little larger wrench. Good luck. Brad

Old 07-24-03, 06:33 PM
W
you need to put a little pipe dope (teflon dope works great here) on the face of the rubber washer where it contacts the sink. Also put some dope on the threads to the threaded tailpiece that screws into the pop-up (and drops down into the p-trap). If you have any questions give me a call I'm in Waipahu @ 671-6343

Old 07-24-03, 10:44 PM
H
Ok, I did both of those. I filled the sink for about ten minutes and...no leaks!! Last newbie question - do I need to let the putty set up or can I use the sink right away?

Mahalo,
Thad

Old 07-24-03, 11:25 PM
You can use it right away.