Installing high end shower valves

Old 07-25-03, 07:36 AM
bigbluedude2
Visiting Guest
Installing high end shower valves

I am ready to install the volume control valves and the temperature mix valve in the new shower. All valves have 3/4 female pipe threads for the connections. What is the best way to install these guys. With map gas torch I have been 100% leak free on all the rough ins but find I am getting the fittings to hot. I don't want to overheat the valves. Can I sweat the 3/4 pipe to the fitting and then using dope, screw the fitting into the valves, then attached the valve to the wall, then sweat the pipe away from the valve?? Or do I need to put the fitting onto the valve and sweat the pipe directly to the fitting attached to valve. (keeping the valve off the seat when sweating) I hope I am making this clear. I guess I just need the right sequence for this.

I have 3 volume control valves and 1 mixing valve. I am going to stack the volume control valves and have the mixing valve to the right seperated
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-03, 04:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sweat the adaptors on to the pipe 1st, then screw them into the valve.

Old 07-25-03, 04:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ideally, you want to be about 6" from the valve before soldering... Also, even if you could take all the workings out of the valve allowing you to solder the joint after it was threaded in, you would still burn the pipe dope up and risk a leak...

Practice not getting your fittings so hot too, it isn't necessary... Just turn the torch down a bit, and move the heat on and off the fitting as it gets to temp to maintain the proper amount of heat... One option on those valves though, is to buy BRASS NIPPLES to go between the different valve parts... That way the distances are exact and you don't have to worry about heat... Another thing you should always do when you find yourself soldering close to a fitting or valve that you don't want to burn, is to wrap anything that doesn't need to get hot in a very wet towel...

Old 07-25-03, 04:53 PM
bigbluedude2
Visiting Guest
High end shower valves

Thanks for the great help, I have been on this project for 6 months as I had to go down to bare tree joists to get the floor level. My wife asks when you guys can make it over to finish the job I will be sweating on Saturday, both literally and figuratively. (ha)