hooking dehumidifer to drain pipe

Old 08-05-03, 08:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hooking dehumidifer to drain pipe

I have a dehumidifier in my basement that needs to be emptied at least twice a week in the summer. I would like to hook its drain pans into my household plumbing by hooking it to a pump like the one that pumps the condensate from my central A/C into the household drain pipe.
It looks like they used flexible tubing to pump the water into the black plastic household waste pipe.
I am a little concerned, though, because I don't want any leaks or backflow of waste water into the pump. Has anyone done this before?
Would this original pump that drains my a/c condensate also be able to handle the water from my dehumidifier? Because I would be able to tee the dehumidifier into the input pipe for the a/c condensate pump, and I would not have to put a new hole into the household waste pipe.
Thanks.
Dave

Last edited by Dave4242; 08-05-03 at 09:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-03, 09:37 AM
Drain

Id say need a better layout of the set up first that you have now.
you can got to this pump. To cut into the drain line on the AC it has to be after the trap on the AC.Also think any drain from this unit the AC unit or say a washer. Has to just go into a ptrap on the wast drain line and can not be fixed or attached too the drain line in anyway. ED

Old 08-06-03, 05:53 AM
I just want to be sure i understand where I should tap into the a/c condensate line.
From the air handler, there is a water trap before the pvc condensate line goes into the shoebox shaped pump.
Should i tap the drain line from the dehumidifier into the condensate from the a/c BEFORE or AFTER the water trap (J trap)?
Thanks
Dave