septic outflow filter

Old 08-05-03, 12:29 PM
MikeInWA
Visiting Guest
Question septic outflow filter

I have a 25 year old septic system that has worked flawlessly. It is 1000 gallons and gravity flow. During my last pumping, it was recommended that I have an outflow filter installed to prevent solids flowing into the drain field. It sounds like a good idea but I have some concerns about the real need for it and its maintenance.

Does anyone have good knowledge of septic filtering systems? Are they a good thing? Do they create any problems? Do they create more problems than they solve? Do they have to be cleaned more often than the tank needs to be pumped (5-7 years)? Do they plug up? Are they expensive to maintain or clean? About how much should a good filter cost? How long should the filter function?

Thank for whatever light you can shed on this topic.

Old 08-05-03, 10:41 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have never heard of a screen type filter on a septic tank. That sounds complicated.

You SHOULD have an outlet baffle, a tee shaped pipe or elbow joint at the outflow to prevent solids from leaving. If you have an old concrete septic tank then sometimes the original baffle crumbles and falls apart.

If you do not have an outlet baffle then I would definitley reccommend having one installed. It will significantly reduce the strain on your drainfield.

Old 08-06-03, 07:49 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The septic I had installed at my vacation home (mini mound) does have a filter. It's about 4" in diameter and about 2' long. But I'm not sure how a gravity flow system will be able to work with that filter as there is no pump to pressurize the "stuff" through the filter.

Old 08-07-03, 10:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

pauly, I've never heard of a septic system filter either. I guess that they have them, but they better have a baffle before them or easy filter clean-out access, or somebody is going to have constant clogging problems sooner or later.

Old 08-10-03, 04:59 PM
Plumbrich
Visiting Guest
Before i moved from north fla.Some areas made this code they are well intended.Problem was they stopped up all the time always having to dig up and clean off was a big pain.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: