washer drain clog

Old 08-09-03, 05:09 PM
lonebunny
Visiting Guest
Unhappy washer drain clog

Ok, please someone, give me the one bit of advice I haven't gotten yet! The drain behind my washer is apparently clogged. I say apparently, because it overflows. The problem is, after the J-trap, there is a direct right turn, and we can't get the snake to turn that corner. I would like to put Drano down there, but if this doesn't take care of it (I should know in a few minutes now, how can I find out how far down the line this clog is? I really don't want to call a plumber if it's something I can handle myself.

-the lone rabbit

Old 08-09-03, 05:16 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
How big (diameter) of a snake are you using? Might try a smaller one that will turn the corner in the elbow. (Turn the snake as you push it in.)

Old 08-12-03, 12:55 PM
lonebunny
Visiting Guest
no good so far

The snake I'm using is maybe 3/16" in diameter. The problem is, it needs to turn a very right turn, no elbow. It's a t-joint. Down is the main pipe leading out of the house (this is the only thing hooked up to this particular drainage pipe). Up seems to go up through the wall. THere is nothing above this room, so it must be the vent. I don't have enough snake to go up there (okay, it's also like 600 degrees up there!) and snake all the way down. I'm not trying to argue here, just fix it. Can you help?

-lonebunny

Old 08-12-03, 01:00 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
That size cable may not be good enough to clean a laundry line efficiently, however, try turning the cable counter clockwise, this at times will cause the cable to lay differently in the line, making it head in the other direction.

Old 06-20-07, 01:08 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Drain Behind Washing Machine clogged

What can be done if the washing machine drain is clogged and is there a simplier method to unclog?

Old 06-20-07, 05:11 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Martha,

Welcome to DoItYourself.com and the Plumbing forum.

If the drain line in the wall at your washing maching is clogged, use a drain snake to clear it. Use at least a 1/4" diameter hand snake, at least 25' long. If you can't get it cleared with that, call a plumber who has a much longer and a powered drain cleaning machine.

In the future it would be better if you started a new thread, rather than dig up one that is 4 years old. Do that by going up one level (in this case, to Plumbing and Piping) and clicking on the "New Post" button. Except for me, all of the other previous posters in this particular thread are long gone as far as I know!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: