Toilet Handle Hard to Push

Old 08-14-03, 03:02 AM
beb
Visiting Guest

My house is nine years old and my two toilets have worked correctly until just recently. The spare bathroom toilet is not used very often. Lately the handle has become very hard to push down. It almost seems like it will break because of the required force. If you flush the toilet again immediately after the first time, the handle works fine. Once I flushed it three additional times and all three times the handle was very easy to push. However, if you don't use it for several days, it reverts back to the problem.

My toilet doesn't have a ball and chain. I have tried WD40 on the outside of the handle where it enters through the tank. I also tried to loosen the handle from the inside. Neither helped. It seems like the flapper suction is very tight.

What can I do to correct this?
beb

Old 08-14-03, 08:50 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Replace the handle with a new flush handle.

Old 08-14-03, 06:07 PM
W
Received 13 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Hi, Sounds Like a Kohler toilet, water saving, about the right vintage. Flappers cause this problem, if its a Kohler Replace the flapper. Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 08-14-03, 07:42 PM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
it is the flapper!

Old 08-15-03, 12:41 AM
beb
Visiting Guest

I checked and the toilet is made by Mansfield instead of Kohler. Would it still be the flapper?

beb

Old 08-15-03, 01:25 AM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
please see my previous post!

Old 08-15-03, 07:51 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If it was me I'd replace the entire flush valve to a standard type of flush valve.

Old 08-15-03, 06:27 PM
W
Received 13 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Hi, I would change out the valve. You may not want to. I'm looking at a picture of Mansfield 210 flush valve. It has a washer type seal on the bottom about 3 1/8 diameter. I would suspect it would fail like the kohler flapper which also has a washer type seal on it. To remove the seal shut off the water screw off the knob where the overflow water line enters then lift the assembly up making sure not to break the handle, The washer is on the bottom and is probably wrinkled up, replace it.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 08-15-03, 09:18 PM
beb
Visiting Guest

Woodbutcher,
Thank you for the instructions! They are very helpful since I have never done it before.
beb

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: