Sewer line replacement under slab foundation

Old 06-23-14, 08:47 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sewer line replacement under slab foundation

Sorry if this has been asked before, but everyone's situation is unique, so I thought I would just make a new thread.

My sewer line runs under my slab foundation. I have had tree root infiltration and need to have it snaked about every 6-8 months when the roots grow and clog the line. The 4in sewer line runs from the middle of my house out to the front of my house, approximately 10 ft. After if passes the house, it connects to PVC all the way to the sewer main line in the street. I have been told the only way to have this replaced was to jack hammer through the slab to replace the pipe. Unfortunately, the pipe under the house runs right under my kitchen. It is a galley kitchen, so there are cabinets on either side. There is an access point already through the slab where the sewer line enters the ground and all the sewer lines above this point are above ground. I am wondering if it would be possible to have this relined instead of replaced. From the camera views I have seen, it looks like the inside of the pipe is still intact, except for where the tree roots are coming in. Looking for some information. Really don't want to destroy my kitchen floor. Thanks for the info.

Old 06-23-14, 11:56 AM
T
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
Cut down the tree which I would suspect is right next to your house?? Then snake it clear and replant a new tree further away from the house!

Old 06-23-14, 12:43 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Yes, the only proper fix to really take care of the problem is to replace the line. It may also be a candidate for being lined which would not require tearing up the entire house but it is not cheap. Possibly cheaper than removing your kitchen and cutting open the floor but still not cheap.

There are chemicals you or your plumber can put into the drain to kill tree roots. It will need to be repeated periodically as the roots recover but it can help prevent the twice a year clogged sewer.

Then finally there is the tree as tomf63 mentioned. That is the root (pun intended) cause. Removal of it will stop the root problem. If you do go that route the instant the tree is cut down paint the stump repeatedly with a glyphosate herbicide concentrate. Even though the tree is cut down the large mass of roots can live for a year. The herbicide will kill the roots and also prevent suckers from appearing. It is important that it is applied immediately after the tree has fallen.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: