Replacement 2 Piece shower/Tub

Old 09-01-03, 05:46 PM
DandDHolley
Visiting Guest
Question Replacement 2 Piece shower/Tub

I am installing a MAAX tub/shower 2 piece unit that calls for screws and wing nuts to hold the shower walls in place on top of the tub. I do not have room to put it together before it is almost completely inserted into the 'U' shaped area where it will sit. Any ideas on how to get the screws and wing nuts in while it is in position? Also, if I slide it out as far as I can (about 8 inches), it will not slide over the protrusion of the mixer valve. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-03, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have been in this situation numerous times.

The only way I do these is to make sure I have plenty of nailers on the perimeter of the unit on the nailing flanges, and then use 100% pure silicone bead where all surfaces connect together.

The rule is though, do not lay the bead where it is visible on the inside.

That is done with a second bead of silicone once the tub is set, and drywall is done with paint on it.

This way the silicone bead is not subjected to dirt and construction dust during this step.

As for the shower valve, break down valve completely in wall except for the shell of valve. This should give more room to maneuver the unit to set in place.

Old 09-02-03, 04:07 PM
DandDHolley
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice. I considered this approach but didn't think the silicone would hold the two pieces togehter well enough to not leak. But I will try this and let you know how I make out. Thanks again.

Old 09-02-03, 04:22 PM
I might of given u misunderstanding to the use of silicone.

My mentioning of the nailing flanges is what makes the install crucial.

Those pieces usually all have nailing flanges.....and that is where the support lies.

I usually anchor about every 12" to make unit rock solid with a bed of mortar under every unit I install.

The silicone is just to keep mold out between the seams.

The ONLY time I use silicone.

Old 09-02-03, 04:46 PM
See Oldguy,

See when we plumbers use silicone, there is only bu two places to use silicone

Shower Enclosures & Doors

And when it's called for in the installation instruction i.e. like using it to seal the pop-up drain to a marble surface.

Silicone: Oldguys Best Friend.

Just messing with you LOL