In need of plumbing 101: PVC trap question

Old 09-01-03, 06:43 PM
snissors
Visiting Guest
In need of plumbing 101: PVC trap question

Hi all. Great place to learn to be handy.

Well, in my kitchen, the drain pipe under the sink is connected to the upper trap area via some kind of suction only. There's nothing to tighten. Has anyone ever heard of this? It will come loose (totally unconnected) unexpectedly, and water will leak out before it ever gets to the trap. We've got a bucket underneath it, but a few times (including tonight) the bucket has overflowed and the water has leaked down through the kitchen floor and ruined the ceiling of the basement. Usually it only takes a good long running of the garbage disposal to disconnect the piping.

This time, the trap is also clogged as well. Maybe that was the cause of the disconnection this time. Not sure.

Anyway, my immediate question is this: how do I disconnect the trap from the two drain pipes? Actually, I've got it disconnected from the right drain pipe... just had to unscrew a metal connector. However, the other side of the trap is connected to left drain pipe differently - some kind of large, plastic piece that looks like it should screw loose, but it's very tight. Do I need some kind of special tool to loosen this, or is it not meant to be loosened?

Long term question: do I need to replace the whole system under there to keep this from happening again, or is there an easy fix? I've never seen such a fragile design - one that depends on suction alone to hold two pieces of a drain pipe together!

Thanks.

Old 09-01-03, 07:05 PM
snissors
Visiting Guest
small correction to original post

The "suction" joint is actually where the garbage disposal connects to the drain pipe. It looks like it has one of those plastic plumbing rings around the joint... and I can tighten/loosen the ring onto/off of the drain pipe, but it does nothing to tighten the drain pipe to the garbage disposal... even when the ring is fully tightened, I can pull the drain pipe completely away from the garbage disposal.

Old 09-01-03, 07:56 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
What it the brand name of this disposal?

Old 09-01-03, 08:02 PM
snissors
Visiting Guest
The disposal is an ISE. Model appears to be a "Badger 1" at 1/3 horsepower.

Old 09-01-03, 08:03 PM
So you say it comes apart on the side of the disposal or is it coming apart were it connects to the sink it's self?

Old 09-01-03, 08:04 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
suction setup??? No.....

loosen the ring and move it up on the disposal discharge pipe and check for a round plastic washer which will have a bevel on the outer edge...The washer should be either under the ring or at the top of the drain pipe....

The ring tightens down on the washer which compresses and creates a seal and tight friction fit between the disposal discharge pipe and the drain pipe......The part is available at a hardware store for approximately 2.00.....and/or check inside the clogged trap for the old one.....

to remove the left hand drain.....loosen the plastic nut...with a pliers or plumbing tool. be careful to tighten the pliers only enough to grip it however not so tight that it will crack.

Old 09-01-03, 08:15 PM
snissors
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Plumber2000
So you say it comes apart on the side of the disposal or is it coming apart were it connects to the sink it's self?
It comes apart on the disposal side - at the connection of the drain pipe to the disposal tail.

StephenS:

I hope you're right - a suction fit didn't sound right to me either. When we bought the house, the previous owner warned us that the disposal was connected to the drain pipe by "suction only", and said he had a plumber look at it and say there was nothing that could be done.

I suppose I shouldn't have assumed the previous owner was correct, or was even telling the truth.

Thanks so much - I'll check for the washer.

Old 09-01-03, 08:20 PM
If all else fails, install a new disposal, sounds like it's a old disposal, and good chance it needs replaced.

Old 09-02-03, 09:24 AM
snissors
Visiting Guest
Ok, I found the beveled washer underneath the ring... but tightening the ring down does not form any significant friction seal between the garbage disposal discharge pipe and the drain pipe - I can still pull it apart very very easily.

Old 09-02-03, 09:45 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
snissor,
I have a badger in my house too which I purchased at home depot and the ring secures it tight to the drain. ...I suspect either that the ring and washer are not the correct ones or the ring needs to be tightned more turns. .....bring the ring and washer to home depot and figure if they are correct and/or purchase replacements.

The rings are sold in 1 1/4 and 1 1/2" diameter and I suspect you may currently have the 1 1/2 and may need a 1 1/4"

Old 09-02-03, 11:47 AM
snissors
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by StephenS
snissor,
I have a badger in my house too which I purchased at home depot and the ring secures it tight to the drain. ...I suspect either that the ring and washer are not the correct ones or the ring needs to be tightned more turns. .....bring the ring and washer to home depot and figure if they are correct and/or purchase replacements.

The rings are sold in 1 1/4 and 1 1/2" diameter and I suspect you may currently have the 1 1/2 and may need a 1 1/4"
Thanks. I'll try both suggestions after work today.

Old 09-02-03, 05:22 PM
snissors
Visiting Guest
One problem fixed: I just didn't have the plastic washer positioned correctly onto the disposal discharge pipe. Decent connection now.

Need new ISE Badger though - just won't drain... tried the ice cube trick a few times.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Learned a lot.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: