Snapped shower pipe internal pipe wrench

Old 09-02-03, 07:41 AM
rickarch
Visiting Guest
Angry Snapped shower pipe

My showerhead and extention pipebroke off. My problem is that part of the threaded extention pipe is inside the "tee" of the supply pipe. I can't grab the snapped off piece of extention pipe inside. Any suggestions on how to get it out without ruining the threads, so that I can replace the extention piece and showerhead.

As always thanks for any help!!
Rick

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-03, 08:05 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There is a special tool for just this situation. I am not sure what the proper nomenclature is, but it is a stub extractor. It is sort of like an 'easy out' for plumbing. It is placed inside the broken pipe and as it is turned with a wrench, through cam action it expands to grasp the broken stub, allowing it to be unscrewed. You probably can find this tool at any plumbing supply house. (Possibly at the Big Box, as well.)

Old 09-02-03, 11:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

One is called an inside nipple wrench:

INSIDE NIPPLE WRENCH

You also can use a standard "easy-out" as long as it is large enough to grip the inside of the broken-off 1/2" nipple and not bottom out on the back of the fitting.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 09-02-03, 07:16 PM
rickarch
Visiting Guest
Unhappy internal pipe wrench

Went and bought an internal pipe wrench tonight and brought it home it is too small. the new extension pipe that I bought to replace the snapped one is the same size.
Is there a 5/8" internal pipe wrench? the one I bought just slides in and won't grab the broken piece at all.

Any help!! Please

thanks

Rick

Old 09-02-03, 07:29 PM
rickarch,

Try and keep the message withing the same topic, it gets confusing when you post seperate questions for one topic in different posting I will merge the two together.

Old 09-02-03, 07:46 PM
You won't find an internal pipe wrench of that size, this is what you do, kinda a tricky thou.

Take a hacksaw blade and cut though the existing pipe, now only cut deep enough and not too deep, not with a good pick set, attempt to roll the piece of pipe threads out of the fitting, this can get frustrating but I've done the trick before, just take your time, it will come out of there.

Old 09-02-03, 10:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

Most shower arms are 1/2" (internal dimension) and 5/8" O.D.
Can't you find a 1/2" inside nipple wrench?

Old 09-03-03, 06:17 AM
rickarch
Visiting Guest
wrench size

Old guy,

I bought a 1/2" wrench last night, got it home it and it slips inside the tee and the broken piece, but it just keeps turning, it won't grab the broken pipe inside at all. very frustrating.

I thought about the hacksaw idea before the wrench, was afraid of ruining the threads, but it seems the only option. I'll just go slow!

Thanks all for the tips

Old 09-03-03, 06:56 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Some of the internal wrenches are made so cheaply now that the 'teeth' are not sharp. You could try a triangular file and sharpen up the teeth and see if it will grab. I even saw a cast internal that had no edges at all. the older ones had cut teeth and worked a lot better.