Help! Can't bolt new toilet to floor!

Old 09-03-03, 07:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Help! Can't bolt new toilet to floor!

I have been doing some remodeling in my bathroom and had to take the toilet out. I had a very difficult time removing the toilet as the bolts inside the tank were very corroded. This toilet was installed about 30 years ago. When I unscrewed the bolts holding the bowl down to the floor, one of the bolts came completely loose like something had broken. Once I got the toilet off I discovered the metal base around the waste pipe in the floor had rusted so badly that the slot for the bolt had broken completely. Now there is nothing for the new bolt to lock onto. What can I do?

Rory

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-03, 08:01 AM
There is a metal flange that can go over existing called super flange..and there is what is called a spanner flange that can be bolted to side that is bad.

As a plumber though, if I was called to make this repair, I would insist on cutting out this mess and turning up a new flange.

Fix the problem and no worries.

Old 09-03-03, 08:10 AM
Question a little more help

As a novice, I could use a little step by step. :-)

Does a new flange come with a new toilet, or do I buy it separately?

Is the old flange connected to the slab somehow or just with putty and just needs scraping up with a putty knife?

Between the flange and the wax ring was a black rubber thing that resembles a funnel sort of. What is that and if I replace it, does it come with anything else or do I buy it separately?

Thank you SO much!

Old 09-03-03, 08:17 AM
That plastic piece you talk of is the horn .......to a horned wax ring........those can be bought at any hardware store......

Flanges do not come with toilets.

Too many applications.

Do clean the entire surface of old flange before installing the repair pieces on this.

On this site.....if you go to toilet replacement info........it will show you the steps involved in this........not identical to yours........but close.

If this is a old house.........sometimes the older houses had flanges anchored to marble slabs they sat on.........Use extreme caution on these.