Closing up house for winter season

Old 09-04-03, 04:02 PM
Kasey1
Visiting Guest
Question Closing up house for winter season

Have to close up the inlaw's home for the winter. Will be turning off heat and draining the pipes and water heater. Plan to put RV antifreeze in the toilets and toilet tanks. Here in Michigan it get mighty cold! Did I forget anything that I should do?
Any tricks or tips to make opening up in the Spring the least troublesome?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-03, 04:18 PM
Cool

Turn off power to water heater prior to draining to prevent damage.
Next Spring, fill water heater tank and run hot water faucets until all air is out of the tank and lines before turning power back on to water heater.
Open the lowest outside spigots and all faucets.
Put anti-freeze in all drain traps (toilets have built-in traps behind the bowl), including sinks, showers, tubs, floor drains, and the washing machine standpipe. Liquid has to stand in traps to prevent sewer gas from entering home, and the normal standing trap water will freeze, too.
After water is off, turn the washing machine on briefly to relieve pressure on washing machine hoses, or better yet, disconnect and drain the hoses.
Good Luck!

Old 09-04-03, 05:31 PM
Kasey1
Visiting Guest
Smile Winterizing home

Thanks Mike for the suggestions! I might have forgotten about the washer. What about the diswasher? Should I pour some antifreeze in there and then pump it out , to get the anti-freeze in the pump? Also on toilets, should I pour anti-freeze in the tank, after the water is mostly gone, and lift the flapper valve to get it into the lines that feed the bowl around the top of the bowl?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Kasey1

Old 09-04-03, 06:01 PM
Cool

You shouldn't have to do anything to the dishwasher, but you can run it for a minute or so if you want, after you turn off the water.
Definitely do NOT pour anti-freeze in it, as anti-freeze is highly poisonous (pets love to drink it, which kills them quickly...store it carefully.)
If you flush the toilet after turning the water off, you really don't need to pour anti-freeze in the tank, as any small amount of water left in it can easily be dried out with a sponge or towel into the bowl.
Just pour plenty of anti-freeze in the bowl.
Good Luck!
Mike