well/pump/tank problem?

Old 09-05-03, 09:34 AM
fingers30
Visiting Guest
well/pump/tank problem?

In the last 6 months, I'venoticed my water pressure dropping. Then recently (2 -3 weeks ago) noticed rust deposits in the toilet tank/bowl. Now the water has quit. Had to prime the pump, water runs sporadically (and brown).
Deep well (180 ft), old deepwell pump and tank (15 years). When I shut the breaker off, the pump loses prime. I have noticed, when I keep the prime cap loosened the water will stay running longer, when tightened , it shuts off (pump runs continuously). Also, when the breaker is shut off, I think I hear water running back through the pipes?
I'm thinking the well point is clogged. Is it feasible for me to pull it myself? (My dad has done it many times, just not this deep).
Any sugestions? Flowchart on what to check?
Thanks for any info, all is appreciated.

Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-03, 09:59 AM
Check for a leaking check valve first if its loosing prime or the casing may have a hole rusted in it? Just a possibility. I take it that it is a shallow well pump? Just curious, where in Michigan?

Old 09-05-03, 10:13 AM
fingers30
Visiting Guest
Where would this check valve be?
I'm by Lake City.

Old 09-05-03, 10:28 AM
Cool

You may have a check valve on the suction side of the well line near the pump.
However, it sounds to me like you have more problems than that, but down in the well.
Ron(Pumpman) Peeks is the resident wells-and-pumps expert, and until he comes along, you can visit his excellent website at www.peekspump.com for more information.
You might be able to erect a large tripod with a come-along over the 180' deep well to pull it and dismantle it section by section and repair or replace parts of it, but normally a deep well is best left to experienced people with the right equipment.
The last thing that you want to do is drop it or part of it back down the well.
Good Luck!

Old 09-05-03, 10:31 AM
Its been so long since I worked on one and mine are all deep hole with subs so I am not real familiar with them, but there is a good chance of a hole in the screen which let some sand or junk thru, then a piece became lodged in the check which I think is a brass fitting that looks like a large coupling just before the pump on the suction side. The screen has been clogging and your volume is dropping. Is there any sand coming in the water that you can tell? I have some friends near Lake City, east of there on 55 about 10 miles on nine mile rd.

Old 09-05-03, 10:37 AM
fingers30
Visiting Guest
I'll check the check valve. (Been trying to call the well guys around here for two days, no answers). sberry - I'm on 7 mile, just 2 miles from your friends. I'm north of 55, just south of moorestown. My brother is a charter boat captain/owner in manistee.
Again, thanks for the advice.

Old 09-05-03, 10:47 AM
When you go south on 9 mile they live in a place on the right in the woods about a half a mile down or so, about half way up the hill. Gary is a master mechanic and if you need help he is a good guy to ask. I agree with old guy, 180 ft is a lot of pipe. I also think his assesment is correct that you have downhole problems, that problem came first then it caused a prob with the valve secondary.