Toliet slow to flush

Old 09-09-03, 10:47 AM
Mike5555
Visiting Guest
Toliet slow to flush

I have two toliets, one upstairs, one ground level- both clog frequently and usually a plunger does the job.

Last weekend I had to remove the tank and bowl after the plunger and snake (auger?) did not work on the upstairs one. After everything was cleaned out and put back together it now works as well as before, which is not that great. Now the one on the ground level is clogged and won't plunge. I fear that this one may need to be taken apart as well.

I think the problem is due to the fact that the water does not drain with enough force from the bowl to remove solid waste. There is no clockwise (or is it counterclockwise) swirl of water. When the bowl finally empties, I get a gurgling sound that sounds like air bubbles or an air pocket and then a very small amount of water sits there. Eventully the bowl fills up.

Questions

1. are the two toliets related or rely on each other for pressure?
2. Are there any adjustments that I can do to get a more forceful flush?

The house does not have a basement and was built in the early 1990's.

thanks for any help.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-03, 11:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What is the brand names on these toilets?

Old 09-09-03, 11:59 AM
Mike5555
Visiting Guest
not sure. They are the originals from when the house was built I imagine. I bought the place 3 years ago.

Old 09-09-03, 02:27 PM
Jason A R
Visiting Guest
check the plumbing vents on your roof make sure they are open. They are pluged during the pressure test at inspectin. I have seen the forget to cut them out after inspection

Old 09-09-03, 02:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well 1st off you need to find out what is wrong, there are several things that could be wrong.

1. Fillvalve in tank not working correctly, fillvalve not filling bowl up to operating level after each flush

a. The tube coming from the fillvalve to the overflow tube, is there any water flow though it, this fills bowl to it's operating level.

2. Flush ring, below rim of toilet, these could be clogged not allow water to flow fast enough the flush the toilet.

3. Blow hole in bottom of toilet clogged up, check for obstruction.

4. Bad toilets, in the past if you have low volume flush type toilets, there were some bad flushing toilets out then.

Pour a 5 gal bucket or 2 of water into the bowl, if it makes the toilet flush good, then it's between the tank and the bowl.

If no water flow to very little flow off the fill valve to the overflow in the toilet, replace this fill valve with a fkuidmater 400A

If there is good flow and bowl water level reaches operating level after each flush, clean out the flush ring and blow hole.