kitchen faucet makes refridge ice maker noise???

Old 09-12-03, 07:55 PM
acftmech
Visiting Guest
kitchen faucet makes refridge ice maker noise???

HUH? ok i am stumped! ha!

ok here is the deal. I just replaced the kitchen sink faucet. Now everytime I turn my faucet on.... when I turn it off, the refridgerator ice maker makes a little noise (like ice shifting). This isnt a coincidence, i can repeatably make this happen over and over.

I am guessing that maybe the water line going to the fridge may have an air pocket and it may need bleeding. I was just curious if this is the case before I move my fridge.

This may have made the noise before changing the faucet and we just didnt realize it. I am not for sure.

any help appreciated. thanks!

AcftMecH

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-03, 12:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

It may be air, but if your icemaker is working O.K., my first guess is that water pressure may be making the icemaker act like a water hammer arrester when the faucet is abruptly shut off.
What type of valve do you have on the supply line to the icemaker?
If it's not a saddle valve, you might try cutting the flow down a bit to see if that helps.
One of the pro plumbers on this forum (I'm not one) may have a better idea, and you might also post this over in the Electrical Appliance forum where Jeff may be able to help you.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 09-13-03, 06:39 AM
acftmech
Visiting Guest
Ut OH!!!!!!!! heheheh. Old Guy.... your gonna laugh, prolly along with everyone else.

First off, thanks, you definately gave me an idea. So I pulled out the mammoth refridgerator and guess what and turned down the valve.... and guess what.... the noise didnt completely go away, but it definately lessened. It didnt affect my water pressure from the fridge at all, so i turned it down until it did, but still barely made the noise, but it was liveable. So i pushed the fridge back into place and $#%#^@ the noise was back. F^#!$*%# F [email protected]&^%! F&*!#^$* !!!!! hehehe.

So I decided to do alittle investigative work. I stuck my head in the freezer to see exactly where it was coming from, so I knew strategically where to hit with the hammer...HA.... and had my wife turn water on and off. I was like whaaaaaaaaaaat!!!! it wasnt coming from the freezer, evn though it sounded just like ice shifting.

The F#%% water lines get so much back pressure from the faucet, they are shifting around hitting the back of the refridgerator....HAHAHAHAHAHA! Man, thats enough to make ya feel stupid! So with alittle tape, I am good to go!

Thanks!

AcftMecH

Old 09-13-03, 06:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Test the pressure on the house, sounds like you have too much, too much pressure and fast closing valves causes shock on the water pipes, this making them shake rattle and roll.