Toilet Still Leaking

Old 09-19-03, 01:28 PM
cthoms
Visiting Guest
Toilet Still Leaking

My toilet leaks from the tank to the bowl. I've tried replacing the flapper but it still leaks. Even when I apply a bit of pressure to the top of the flapper to ensure(?) closure, it still leaks. This sounds impossible doesn't it? Any ideas what's up?
Thanks.
cthoms

Old 09-19-03, 03:58 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Make sure the tube that comes off of the fillvalve that goes into the overfill tube on the flush valve is not below to water full level in the tank, it needs to be above that point, or it can siphon the tank, causing it to turn on and off all the time.

Old 09-19-03, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dye test the tank with food coloring to see if dyed water comes through the jets on the rim.

Old 09-29-03, 04:58 AM
cthoms
Visiting Guest
....still leaking...

Checked the refill tube and it is not below the water line so it can't be siphoning. Did the dye test. The dye does not come from the rim, just up from the bottom. Any ideas?
thanks.

Old 09-29-03, 05:42 AM
The chain from the flush handle to the flapper, make sure it's not to tight and has a Little bit of slack in it.

Old 09-29-03, 05:57 PM
W
Received 13 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Hello, the overflow tube could be cracked or the gasket at the bottom of the tank just below the flapper could fail. Flush the toilet and when the tank is full shut off the water to the toilet. Let it set a few hours then check the level, if the water is close to the top maybe the overflow is too far down in the tube. The water will stop at the leak if it stops at the flapper then check that again or the joint where the overflow pipe connects to the assembly behind the flapper. If the tank is completly empty the gasket leaked. Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 10-04-03, 08:50 AM
Royal
Visiting Guest
I think that I'm having this same problem in one of my bathrooms, I noticed that my toilet was making a small constant dripping noise. I pushed down on the flapper thing and it seemed to stop until the next time my son flushed the toilet. Is it very difficult to replace the flapper?

Old 10-04-03, 09:16 AM
There real easy to replace, take the old one out, you will see how simple it can be.

Old 10-04-03, 09:47 AM
Royal
Visiting Guest
Thanks, going to Home Depot today, Goodness I love this place!!! I think I could probably build a whole new house with the help I get here. Plus I make myself look even more intelligent to my husband when I can fix things. He marvels at me, and I don't dare tell him that I get my smarts from here. LOL

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: