New Garage Drain

Old 09-27-03, 02:55 PM
FishingBob
Visiting Guest
New Garage Drain

I am prepairing to build a new garage (not in the city limits). I plan to put a draining in the floor. What size is typical and do I need a vent? I entend to extend it to a septic tank.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-03, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
FishingBob:

A drain in a parking garage is a touchy subject for a lot of jusrisdictions.
The problem is the fact that you will be having vehicles with a lot of gas and oil that could potentially wind up down the drain.
In a septic system a spill could be very costly if it made it's way through the system not to mention the fire hazard.
You should have an interceptor pit in the garage to catch any fuel or oil that may spill.

Check with your local municipal government to see what's required.

Old 09-27-03, 04:49 PM
trenchlessman
Visiting Guest
A typical intercepter pit should be 500 gal. it must be vented with at least a 2" vent. check with local plumbing jurisdiction.pump pit as needed and you must be aware of the EPA on getting rid of the waste from this pit.

Old 09-27-03, 09:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is this for commercial or residential (personal use)?

Personal use carries a more simple set of requirements.

Old 09-28-03, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
My garage drain situation.

FishingBob:

You don't say what region you are in to get an idea as to whether freezing or frost in the ground would be a consideration.

On my planned garage for residential use, our inspector told me he would accept an interceptor pit that would hold an enire oil change for any vehicle that would be parked in there. He also said that it would not be allowed to be connected to the home's septic system.
He recommended a pump-out tank, but said that if an interceptor were installed, he would consider the wastewater as grey water.
Being greywater here I would have less restriction on what I do with the waste.
My plan is to build a simple interceptor pit inside, run the outflow to a small trickle tank and allow the waste to seep into a small shallow field 'till freeze-up and then have it pumped if needed.

You may not be able to do what I am but use it as an example of working with officials to prevent any future headaches.

Old 09-28-03, 06:18 PM
FishingBob
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your helpful advise.