installing drain line for basement claw foot tub

Old 09-27-03, 05:49 PM
alorenzo
Visiting Guest
installing drain line for basement claw foot tub

I'd like to add a claw foot bathtub to my current 1/2 bath in basement. The drain end of the tub will only be approximately 12 inches from the main drain stack. From what I understand the bottom of the tub stands 5 inches off the ground. I'd like to be able to install a drain from the tub to the bottom of the main drain stack. Is this possible? How much pitch should there be? Also, the main drain stack is galvanized steel and has a 3 inch lip on the bottom. I'm thinking that I can cut the existing main drain stack and replace it with PVC, but I'm still not sure if I'll have enough pitch because of the 3 inch lip at the base of the drain stack. If I cut all the way to base of the concrete, I'm not sure how to attach the PVC without a few inches of lip to work with.

Does anyone have any possible solutions without breaking the concrete?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-03, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Jackhammer is your best shot to open up the concrete.

If you directly tie into the drain stack, and there are fixtures above it, you need to individually vent the tub within that short space.

Velocity of water coming down pipe, with that drain opening at bottom, will cause a vaccum possibly and pull the water out of the trap on your newly installed tub.

If there are no fixtures above, your fine and the stack will serve as a vent.

Old 09-28-03, 08:24 AM
alorenzo
Visiting Guest
let me ask this - if i break up the concrete, can i tie into the main drain line any place under the concrete? Also, could i connect PVC to the drain line with those (rubber screw tie connectors? - i forget the proper name) and then fill in with new concrete?
Or is there a better way?

Old 09-28-03, 08:47 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, you can tie into the main drain using fernco couplings.

Is there any fixtures above where you are about to do work?

You can install concrete back, just make sure that grillage (pea gravel) is used around piping and that concrete is not touching the piping itself. Only pipe that should touch the concrete is the vent that you install that passes through the floor vertically.