water hammer

Old 09-29-03, 07:29 PM
vermontdoc
Visiting Guest
Question water hammer

we usually do a load of laundry each night @ bedtime, but the pipes give off water hammer as the machine calls for water several times per wash cycle. this happens with both the hot and cold. would you install those water hammer reducers on just the lines to the washer or do a whole house unit. the units I've seen are about $16 when installed at the appliance, and the whole house ones are about $30 (I'm guessing one for each of the hot and cold lines). so do you do the house or just the washer lines?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-03, 07:39 PM
smiholer
Visiting Guest
They are by far most effective as close to the fixture as possible. A whole house one may be considered a 'quick/easy' fix. But if you're in the house long term, do the washer ones now, and maybe other fixtures as needed in the future.

Old 09-29-03, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This site will explain numerous issues regarding your situation.

I have this page on my website and when issues of water hammer, consistent leaking faucets or fill valves, this is where I direct my customers to.

http://www.wattscanada.com/faq/regulators/main.html

Old 09-30-03, 06:09 PM
vermontdoc
Visiting Guest
thanks to both of you, I think I'll try the hammer arrestors, we use low flow shower heads and sink aerators everywhere.