Water Softener Timer/Motor

Old 09-30-03, 09:54 AM
mozez
Visiting Guest
Question Water Softener Timer/Motor

Can anyone tell me how to repair the timer/motor/valve on a Commers Water Softener. It continues to run, I believe it is continually flushing the system. The motor is hot to the touch and it looks like a pin has pushed out from the motor. I'm not sure if the valve itself got stuck and that burned out the motor or if the motor just burned out. I am not able to move the valve in and out manually. I'm not sure if it is under pressure when set to bypass. Anyone have a suggestion?

Tim

Last edited by mozez; 09-30-03 at 01:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-03, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Tim:

It's difficult to give specific repair advice on your unit as they all work a little bit diferent.
The manufacturer should be able to give you a repair and parts manual.

Commers website

Old 10-01-03, 06:47 AM
mozez
Visiting Guest
Water softener

I'm looking to save as much money as possible. Commers website doesn't have any technical info and I can't get their technicians to call me. I can fix it myself or schedule service for $85+parts+labor over 1/2 hour. Reasonable but I'm hoping to do it cheaper.
Does this sound like a reasonable theory? The plunger assembly ran into an obstruction and it ran all weekend without the plunger being able to move and that burnt out the small electric motor that drives the plunger assembly? I think I will check to see if there is any obstruction, clear it if there is, replace the small electric motor and see if it works? Sound reasonable? Would the plunger assembly move freely if there were no obstruction or because of the seals etc. would it be difficult to move in and out? Is it common for something to build up and block the plunger assembly? If this is the cause of the problem, is there any reason to suspect that there would be damage to the timer. If that doesn't work I will probably remove the unit and bring it in to them to see if that will save me the service call.
Thanks for your help.
Tim

Old 10-01-03, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Tim:

Again, I will say that without a parts breakdown at least, I am unable to say what is or isn't normal for your particular unit.

My suggestion is that if you wish to repair this yourself you might consider arming yourself with a fair amount of descaler, totally dismantle the valve assembly, soak and clean everything in descaler (except the electrical parts) and then look for damaged or worn pieces.
When you reassemble it be sure to not use a petrolium based lubricant like petroleum jelly, a silicone based type will not deform gaskets and seals.

Another way to go is to try the assertive technique when dealing with Commers.
In a rural area I find myself repairing things I would not have the opportunity to in a larger city.
Any info I need is usually forthcoming when I tell an uncooperative supplier I will be recommending a competing brand of equipment to my customers.

Old 10-02-03, 09:20 AM
mozez
Visiting Guest
Smile Water Softener

Thanks Greg.
I did finally get ahold of the technician. He even gave me his direct number if I have any additional questions. He said it was likely the flow control and/or flow nut. He doesn't think the electric motor is burnt out. He thinks I can just push that pin back in. Thanks for the tip about descaler and silicone.
Tim