jet well pump losing prime

Old 09-30-03, 01:26 PM
8NTX
Visiting Guest

I have a jet pump on a shallow well that has lost prime twice in the last month. Of course, it overheats and melts the intake PVC connection. I checked for leaks and found none. Plenty of water in the well. Any ideas on reasons for this? This is a weekend place; we shut off power to the pump when we are not there. Is there a way to rig something that will shut the pump off once it loses prime and starts to overheat? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-03, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

There could be a problem with the footvalve on the end of the suction line. If the footvalve doesn't hold (because it's either worn out or something gets stuck in the seat)the water will drain back to the well and the pump will lose prime.
The easiest way to protect the pump is to install a pressure switch manufactured by Pumptrol (Square D). It is model # 9013FSG2J21M4. This switch has a low pressure dropout to protect the pump from running dry due to lost prime, or should a line rupture.
There are more sophisticated (and expensive) devices out there if you're interested.
Ron Peeks
R.L. Peeks Pump Sales
www.peekspump.com

Old 09-30-03, 03:38 PM
8NTX
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the quick reply, Pumpman. I forgot to add that the intake pipe has remained full when the pump loses it's prime.

I will look into that pressure switch.