proper drain specs

Old 09-30-03, 06:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
proper drain specs

Hello all, 2 questions here. I am replacing and relocating a stationary wash tub in my basement. The old tub was approx. 4' from the drain and vent stacks. The new location will be approx. 9' from the stacks. My questions are:
1. Is the correct rise for a drain 1/4" per foot.
2. Can the tee fitting in the drain for the vent be located anywhere along the 9' of pipe or does it need to be in a specific location (ex. closer to the sink or to the stack)?
Thanks in advance. Kevin

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-03, 08:58 PM
Between 1/8" and 1/4" is the norm for pitch in drain lines and for 1.5" pipe for laundry tub the vent must be within 3ft 6 inches from trap to vent in my area.

Old 09-30-03, 09:22 PM
9' from the trap to the vent is just too much. What you need to do is locate a vent tee within 3-1/2' of the trap, run a vent line up so that it is at least 6" higher than the top of the laundry tub, then you can run it horizontally over and tie into the existing vent line.

For the drain line, slope it 1/4" per foot and tie it into the existing drain tee. Simply cap off the top of that tee -- the vent isn't there any more.

Old 10-01-03, 07:02 AM
My code book says 2' 6" to vent if line is 1-1/2"

If line is 2" then yout allowed 5' to the vent

This is UPC Code

Old 10-01-03, 02:46 PM
Thanks for all the input guys. All my questions were answered except where the vent goes 3'6" or 2'6". I am running 1 1/2" pvc approx. 9 feet from drain to stack. Thanks Kevin

Old 10-01-03, 04:25 PM
Not sure what the code is for NY so not sure what the distance is from the drain to the vent will be there.

Old 10-01-03, 06:42 PM
kcflip

Put the vent tee anyplace within the first 2' after the drain elbow (where the trap for the laundry tub ties in) -- wherever the studs will allow you to do so. No matter what the codes in NYC say, THAT is legal!! Run the vent pipe UP so that it is at least 6" higher than the laundry tub, then you can run it horizontal over and elbow it into the existing vent.