Connecting Copper Pipe without Soldering?

Old 10-03-03, 08:42 AM
carlab44
Visiting Guest
Connecting Copper Pipe without Soldering?

Hey there, my husband and I are novice to intermediate do it yourselfers, and would like to add a new outdoor spigot to our backyard. We're going to use plastic piping to run from the spigot to our copper plumbing (we live in Seattle and it doesn't really freeze here). I'm wondering about cutting into our existing copper pipe to install the T-joint. At Home Depot they sold this product that you could use to attach the two sections of copper pipe together without soldering. It looked kind of like a liquid soldering product. This sounds great to us since we've never soldered and don't have any of the equipment, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with a product such as this.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-03, 05:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Don't know about that product, but I would be leary of using it for what you want to do.

If you absolutely, positively believe you can not solder a fitting together, you have another option. There are compression "tee" fittings made. These use a metal nut and ferral to make a water tight connection. Takes a couple of wrenches to install. You might want to check into these.

More questions, ask away and someone will help you....Good luck

Old 10-03-03, 07:29 PM
Go with the compression tee like notuboo suggests.It's under the house, it's exposed, and using it is not going to mess up any of the existing copper pipe.

Old 10-03-03, 11:19 PM
Don't trust any liquid product used to solder copper piping.

One way to permanently bond copper; soldering.

Old 10-04-03, 09:09 AM
It is worth learning to solder and it is relatively simple. Just buy one of the home depot gas torches and you're set. I learnt to solder last year and after messing up the first few fittings all my joints come out fine now.

Problem with compression fittings is that they don't seem to come larger than 1/2" (5/8" OD) and are also very expensive compared to solder fittings.

Cannot comment on the non-solder stuff as I've never tried it.

Ravin

Old 10-04-03, 09:14 AM
Compression fitting come in many sizes, common ones are 1/2" and 3/4", there not that expensive, if you can't find them at a Home Center, check with a supply house.