water level in toilet when other toilet flushed

Old 10-04-03, 05:18 PM
hagopfam
Visiting Guest
water level in toilet when other toilet flushed

We just installed a new Toto assisted flush toilet in one bathroom that backs up to our other bathroom (both toilets share the same waste line). Now when the new toilet is flushed, the water in the other toilet moves around and the level gets lower. It happens every time. We've tried doing it three times in row and the level in the other toilet gets lower and lower each time. Would appreciate any help with this problem. Thanks

Old 10-04-03, 05:38 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Improper venting. The water is being sucked out by the flow from the new toilet.

Old 10-04-03, 06:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Check the stack vent pipe above the bathrooms for any leaves, debris, or other clogging, etc.
Flush it with a water hose sprayer.
If the problem persists, you may have to plumb a vent connection for the new toilet before and above the common drain line.
Good Luck!

Old 10-05-03, 02:06 PM
hagopfam
Visiting Guest
Thank you for the info. Could it be the venting even though both toilets were working fine before replacing with the new toilet? Thanks.

Old 10-05-03, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If the toilet (toto) you installed is an assisted flush, and the toilets are back to back in a cross tee configuration with vent up and drain down, there is a chance that the force of the flush is shooting over the cross tee and creating hydraulic pressure of sorts to the toilet on opposite side. Hard flushes with force can affect this drain setup.

This is only a guess, but I have seen toilet bowl water "rock" on cross tee configurations, and with a pressure assisted......I can imagine that the force of water is sending it straight across the design of the fitting.

Makes sense if this is your drain setup.

Old 10-06-03, 01:14 PM
hagopfam
Visiting Guest
Thanks for that info Steve. If that's what it is, would it be a big deal ($$) to change the plumbing to eliminate it?

Old 10-06-03, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
All depends if you was to do the work yourself or not. I would change the cross to a double cross wye with street 45's to keep the water and sediment going in a downward direction without that issue arising.

But it seems like it would be alot just for a toilet. But if you decide to put another toilet (Toto) on the other side, You would almost have to at that point due to the situation.

Now I am not 100% sure of your situation, so proceed with caution, it is purely a guestimate on my part.

Take pictures and posting them for all of us to see would be ideal.

Old 10-07-03, 01:43 PM
hagopfam
Visiting Guest
Thanks again Steve. This site sure is great for the average homeowner. Really appreciate your time. You mentioned posting pictures - I assume you mean if we open the wall to expose the plumbing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: