New Kitchen Faucet & Basin Wrench

Old 10-19-03, 06:30 PM
CBillards
Visiting Guest
Unhappy New Kitchen Faucet & Basin Wrench

I'm trying to replace a kitchen faucet. I bought a basin wrench but it doesn't seem to work on the two weird 'plastic' fasteners under the sink - so I cannot remove it. It also looks a bit corroded,too. Do I have to buy something different from the basin wrench (a regular wrench is to large)?

Thank you!

Old 10-19-03, 07:36 PM
Lew Falconer
Visiting Guest
Good evening. Those plastic nuts were originally installed hand tight. Over the years, the particle board under the sink can get wet and swell making the nuts tight. Use a pair of needle-nosed pliers vertically. get one side against one wing of the nut and the other against the opposite wing. Now you can use one or even both hands to turn the nut with the pliers.
Have a good day and let us know how you make out with your repair.

Old 10-20-03, 01:00 AM
CBillards
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Thank you!
I (think) I tried your trick but it seems there is an adhesive in the bolt; plus, two of the four bolt wings are broken???

What would you advise?

Old 10-20-03, 05:54 AM
Lew Falconer
Visiting Guest
There shouldn't be adhesive on the bolts. There may be a buildup of deposit from water leakage. Try spraying the gunk with vinegar to dissolve it. If that doesn't work, take a sharp chisel and hammer and break the plastic washers to get them off.
Sometimes brute force beats brains.
Good luck and keep in touch.

Old 10-20-03, 11:45 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have a 2 step approach when I remove these on jobs.
1. I have a special socket that I made for removing plastic faucet nuts, works 90% of the time
2. The hammer and chisel approach. A 1/2" chisel placed on the plastic nut and a quick tap of the hammer always works (split the nut) PLASTIC NUTS ONLY!!!!
Hope this helps
Mike

Old 10-20-03, 11:57 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Drill them off, once you get a side of the nut drilled, then a small regular tipped screw driver wedged between the drilled out part should free them up for fast removal.

Wear safety goggles.

Old 10-20-03, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Listen to plumber 2000. Use a 5/16" to 3/8" drill bit, hit each side with a hole and nut falls in half.
Done it 15 seconds....Okay, 30 seconds...

Do not forget the safety googles.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: