Inspecting plumbing !!!


Old 10-23-03, 03:48 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Inspecting plumbing !!!

what is the best way too inspect water and gas pipes before buying a home???
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-03, 09:24 PM
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Arlington, WA
Posts: 9,238
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

First, WELCOME to

You have asked an EXCELLENT question! (Just wish I had an "excellent" answer for you!!)

First, a lot is going to depend on what State you are in, and what disclosure laws that State has. Old Guy (I HOPE!!) will come along shortly and enlighten us all. (In addition to being a mod. in this forum, -- how is it he states it -- 'An unlicensed do-it-yourselfer', or something like that, he IS a licensed realtor.) What you are asking is really more of a real estate question than a plumbing question. Have you posted it in the Home Buying and Selling forum??

You MIGHT find a plumber who would be willing to look at it for you, But I don't think anybody is going to want to stick their neck out very far! They can tell you if the plumbing meets current code, and possibly assure you that it met code WHEN THE HOUSE WAS BUILT (not necessarily the same thing!) But to tell you the condition of the pipes -- probably not. And, a lot will depend on the TYPE of pipes involved. How old is the house?? If you are looking at an old house, that has galvanized water pipe and a combination of cast and galvanized drain pipes -- NOBODY in their right mind would guarantee anything about it, except to say that he (or she) saw no visible leaks when they looked at it. Newer stuff, like copper water lines and ABS drains, again, they will give you pretty much the same guarantee -- "It wasn't leaking when I looked at it!!" But I don't of ANYBODY who is going to tell you that 'everything is fine and the pipes won't leak for "X" # of years." I have looked at plumbing that was 100 years old in 1980, and it's still doing just fine today, and has had no problems. And I have been called out to fix leaks in houses that are less than 5 years old. REASONABLY, there is just no way to know!!
Old 10-24-03, 10:00 AM
Mike Swearingen's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northeastern NC On The Albemarle Sound
Posts: 10,948
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

For any structural or mechanical inspection, use a person licensed either as a General Home Inspector, General Contractor, or in the structural or mechanical field that you want inspected.
In this case, a GHI or licensed plumber can provide you with a good inspection of the plumbing.
Good Luck!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: