Re-route gas line

Old 10-27-03, 08:19 AM
noake
Visiting Guest
Re-route gas line

Hello, I need to reroute some black 3/4 gas line running to a range so that I can put up a drop ceiling in my basement. Is there something special I can do before removing the old pipe? I was planning on just turning off the gas meter, then running the range and H2O heater until all the gas in the lines is out, then taking apart the lines, reassembling, testing, etc. Is this the best way to do it?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-03, 03:46 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Do not even bother burning off what is in the lines, there is not enough to matter. Shut it off and start working.

Old 10-27-03, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The BEST way for you to do this is to have it done by a professional plumber. The fact you are even asking should raise a flag to some people. Gas work on your own home should not be on-the-job training.

Remember, a small water leak, not a big problem.... a small gas leak can and occasionally does have a large impact.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but it's just my opinion.

Old 10-27-03, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I agree %100 what notuboo said.

Old 10-28-03, 12:22 PM
masterjoe
Visiting Guest
Talking CYA

Just to add more merit into Notuboo's comments,
biggest factor to decide whether you do it yourself or hire a professional is a liability issue. If something happens, in this case will be fire, and your house burns down, you won't be reimbursed by your home insurance if they find out this gas rework was done by you. Believe me, this sort of thing will be on the top of insurance inspector's list of things to look for.
Simple equation:

House fire due to gas leak from rework done by licensed professional = money coming from pro's insurance company

House fire due to gas leak from rework done by you = money coming out of your pocket

I know hiring a plumber for gas work ain't cheap; been there, done that.
Although I know how to do it, I still call them up, just because of one reason and one reason only............CYA!!