tub overflow leaking

Old 11-06-03, 08:31 AM
jimmyjamjamiema
Visiting Guest
tub overflow leaking

The gasket behind my tub overflow faceplate is leaking. The old gasket is behind the tub wall and around the overflow pipe.
I purchased a new gasket. Unfortunately, the new gasket is too large to squeeze between opening in tub and overflow pipe, in order to get it into the same position as old gasket. The space that I have to squeeze the gasket into is about 1/8".
I have no access to back of tub.

Any thoughts? Can I just caulk in the space between tub wall and overflow pipe and then put face plate back on?

Thanks

Old 11-06-03, 10:07 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
In a pinch I will caulk the crap out of the oveflow gasket, if you cant replace it. Often times you can smush the new gasket down and insert it from the front, but you would first have to remove the old one and you are commited if you start down this road.

Try caulking it and see if that solves your problem.

Old 11-06-03, 04:39 PM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I would use plumbers putty instead of caulking, it will be easier to remove in the future, and since there is no pressure, it will probably work just as well.

Since it is the overflow, why not just not fill the tub to the overflow. No water.....no leak.

Old 11-06-03, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Interchange the gasket you have for a foam retrofit that you can get one screw started and compress that gasket to get the other screw started.

No need to gain access from backside; it can be done from the overflow hole in tub.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: