Water hammer on hot water side only

Old 11-10-03, 05:19 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Water hammer on hot water side only

We have a water hammer problem on the hot water side only. When a device is quickly shutoff, there is the typical bang all the way back to the water heater, and I can actually see the hot water pipe exiting the water heater vibrate slightly. This is not a new problem, but it bothers me more and more. Our house does not have high pressure, nor has there been a pressure change over the past many months, but I do not have a pressure reading from a gauge.

Why would the hot water side do this and not the cold side? Could it be something as simple as the hot water pipes not being adequately tied down? Is there something more subtle in the hot water system that should be tested or looked at?

Old 11-10-03, 05:22 PM
but I do not have a pressure reading from a gauge.

You need to get a gauge to properly determine if it is high water pressure. If you can regulate this problem, water hammer can disapppear.

Old 11-11-03, 12:57 PM
R
Exclamation Water pressure at 35 psi

I went to the hardware store this morning and purchased a water pressure gauge. At both the back outside faucet, which is very close to the house main, and the front outside faucet I measured 35 psi.

If the house main pressure is not the problem, what are other possibilities particularly since there is no water hammer on the cold side?

Old 11-11-03, 02:27 PM
That low pressure on the house, my guess is to see if you can brace some of the pipes and see what happens from there.

Old 11-13-03, 10:12 AM
ricciuto
Visiting Guest
If this water hammer is very strong you should not only brace the pipes but also install a "water hammer arrester" These are simple devices and easy to install. The web page I am posting explains very clearly the reason water hammer exits. These chambers are usually filled with air reducing the shock in the piping system. If you are handy you can build you own arrester, there is a picture of these on the web page below.

http://www.statefarm.com/consumer/vh...s/waterham.htm

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: