Freezing Pipes

Old 11-19-03, 08:44 PM
Gary Corley
Visiting Guest
Angry Freezing Pipes

My parents live in a 150 year old farm house that has been remodelled a couple of times. However, it is still build on a stone foundation that leaves a crawl space under the house in one section of the house. Unfortunately, this crawl space contains pipes that are surrounded my nothing but air. My dad has tried some installation around the pipes, he has tried putting hay around the crawl space, he has tried "cheap" heating tape and other things I am sure to prevent these pipes from freezing. They don't have the money to remodel.

Is there a "21st century" product that could be used to prevent these pipes from freezing during the winter? Are there other ideas that we haven't tried yet that may keep them from freezing?

Any and all recommendations will be highly appreciated and I thank you in advance for your information.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-03, 11:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If this crawl space has any foundation walls to it.......I would insulate the perimeter walls with foil faced R-19 batts and make sure you stop all air infiltration.

Make sure all Band Joists are covered with insulation along with Joist Blockers.

Makes it alot more difficult for pipes to freeze if there is no air movement.

Another idea is to have an electrician string a set of light fixtures according to size of the crawl space and install heat lamps in a clear area to heat the area close to the water lines. Great idea for small areas.

I use to work for a insulation company years ago when I was flighty and I know how well insulation can provide great protection for this type of problem. Insulation cost money. But it will definitely slow down the ability to freeze the pipes. If you still leave openings or shoddy installation of the insulation, it will not be worth the effort. Kinda like an all or none situation. Wear long shirts and a mask.

Old 11-19-03, 11:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DUNBAR SAID

"Another idea is to have an electrician string a set of light fixtures according to size of the crawl space and install heat lamps..."

4 or 5 well place 60 watt bulbs could possibly work just as well -- the only difference would be in the electric bill. Depends on just how cold it gets in KC.

Old 11-20-03, 02:58 PM
Gary Corley
Visiting Guest
Thank you.

You are the greatest. Thank you.