Washing Maching Drainage

Old 11-21-03, 11:55 AM
BobKerrigan
Visiting Guest
Washing Maching Drainage

Recently bought a house that was built in 1968. We installed our own washing machine. Upon our 1st use, the machine started its first drainage cycle and the water was pumped out and into the drain pipe in the wall, this lasted about 3 seconds before the pipe backed up and deposited what it could not drain into the room. Here is what we have attempted in order to correct the problem and the result;

1. Snaked the drain pipe, no debri or clogs found.
2. Used a solvent recomended by the plumbing guy at Lowe's. Cannot remember the name of the product but it was brown in color and acidic. Supposed to disovle away all organics in the drain.

In both cases I learned something new about plumbing but the problem still remains. Has anybody else experienced this problem? The former owners did not have this problem, is it possible that the machine deposits more water than the pipe can handle? If so what is the fix?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-03, 12:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Modern washing machines can pump a lot more water than older ones did, and washing machine drains tend to get gunked up with stuff in the water.
The backup problem may not even be in the washer trap or drain line. It could be from a partial clog a little farther down the d/w/v system.
Snake the main drain line through a clean-out plug.
Good luck!

Old 02-23-06, 02:14 PM
Washing Machine Backup

I recently wrote and basically asked the same question. I also notice there was another similar post. My landry room backs up to my bar which contains a sink. It appears that both the washer and the bar sink drain pipes meet before emptying into the main drain. When the washer is on the rinse cycle (emptying into the drain), the water backs up into the bar sink. I used Draincare for three consecutive drays...to no avail. I have no drain problems anywhere else in the home.

I have come to the conclusion that the water pressure emptying into the drain is more that the main drain pipe can handle. The drain pipe from the washer meets the main drain at at 90 degree angle, thus forcing the water back up into the washer/bar drain pipes.

Tony

Old 02-23-06, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by tustintony
I have come to the conclusion that the water pressure emptying into the drain is more that the main drain pipe can handle.
That's not likely given that the smaller pipe can handle it.

The drain pipe from the washer meets the main drain at at 90 degree angle, thus forcing the water back up into the washer/bar drain pipes.
I'd say the the drain from the bar meets at a 90 degree angle, and not only that, but the graywater from the washer has to run uphill to get to your bar sink!

That pretty much rules out the angle of incidence theory.

No, what you have is an restriction/obstruction in the line. It could be suds zone pressure. But most likely it is a clogged.

Last edited by bolide; 03-22-06 at 02:13 AM.
Old 03-21-06, 06:47 PM
Washing Maching Drainage

Just joined this web-site with this question in mind. Our washing machine has the same problem. During the spin cycle when the tub is being emptyed, I can hear the water working its way up the pipe and then over the top the water comes, I then open the washers lid to stop the draining. After about 10 seconds I replace the lid to closed position to resume draining. I can hear the water running thru the sink drain while I am standing with the washer lid opened. I have run a 25' snake thru both the washer pipe and the sink line but I still have overflow. Should I invest in a longer snake? Could there be a blockage in the vent stack?

Old 03-22-06, 05:19 AM
wolfe59,
Washing machines put a lot of lint into the drain lines. Since your lines are not totally plugged, you may want to try an enzyme drain cleaner such as Draincare. Enzyme cleaners cling to and eat clogs. Your snake may have went through a lint clog and then it sealed back up when you pulled it back out. If you try the enzyme cleaner, be sure to follow label directions including using hot water. It takes overnight but does work on organic clogs. Will not work on tree roots. Good luck.

Old 03-22-06, 03:22 PM
Code 18" stand pipe before p trap. New washers I think needs 20 to 25.

Old 03-22-06, 04:07 PM
Where do you find Draincare and is it safe to use with septic systems?

Old 03-23-06, 07:41 AM
The label on "Draincare" lists it as safe for septic systems. You can find it at Lowes, Home Depot or OSH. It is available in liquid or dry.

Old 03-23-06, 07:53 AM
I have found Draincare at Walmart, Big Box stores, Hardwares and even the supermarket. Being an exzyme cleaner, it is basically a bacteria laden way to clean. Same as many of the pet stain removers. It works the same way as a septic system and is safe to use in them.

Old 06-20-06, 07:53 PM
Question Kenmore Front-loader

Sorry for breaking in. I have never posted before and I was wondering if someone could help me.
My Kenmore front-loading washing machine model 417.29042991 will not spin during the wash or rinse cycle. I can hear a clicking noise when it should be spinning. The belt isn't broke. The clothes are soaking wet in the end. Does anyone know what is wrong?
Thanks for any help in advance.

Old 06-21-06, 05:27 AM
I'd also check the vent pipe for the machine.

Old 07-13-06, 08:12 PM
dcdomain
Visiting Guest
Are there any resources to read up about washing machines drainage? I don't have my sink connected yet but everytime I use the washing machine, it flows back out the sink drainage. I've resorted to placing a bucket underneath and a tube connected to the sink drain pipe to direct the water flow into the bucket.

Now the really bad news. Today I noticed that no water was coming back out during the rinse cycle. I must've plugged it in well. Few minutes later, the lady living downstairs comes knocking on my door. Turns her closet ceiling which is on the otherside of the kitchen wall was leaking with water.

After reading your posts, my question is, since it never leaked before, is the pressure from the washing machine drainage too much and is there anyway to solve this problem? I'm about to ask my contractors to rip open the walls to see if there's anything they can seal up. But I doubt it since normal drainage is working...

Old 07-14-06, 03:51 AM
dcdomain,
There is/should be a trap in the drainline for your washer. It probably has slip-joint fittings. These could have loosened up and is causing the leak. Newer washers have a lot more volume of discharge water and if your drain is 1-1/2", it may need to be 2". Good luck.

Old 07-14-06, 07:29 AM
dcdomain
Visiting Guest
majakdragon,

Thanks so much for your speedy reply. I want to say that it is most likely not the trap you are mentioning. The reason I'm inclined to say this is because if that was the component at fault, I think my kitchen should have been flooded. Instead the flood is occuring further down the pipe somewhere between my floor and the ceiling of my neighbor downstairs.

The sink and washer drain pipes were rerouted from their original location and the leak seems to be coming from the original location but below my floor. What I can't figure out is where exactly. There is no evidence of leakage on my floor level and it's hard for me to imagine where further down the drainline the problem exists.

I'm inclined to say that it may be occuring where the rerouting took place, and the reason why I don't see any leakage on my floor is because it's happening behind the walls and going straight down to the level below.

The strange thing is, it doesn't occur all the time so it's not a permanent leak, only when the washer is draining so the pressure plays a role.

I'm wondering if there's a fix on my end I can do to lessen the pressure, perhaps I should let it back up into my sink and then slowly drain away.

Old 07-14-06, 02:40 PM
Not saying that is is definitly the washer drain trap, but it could be that the slip joints are leaking and the water is following the pipe and dripping off. Then going to the neighbors ceiling. Without being able to see the situation, it's a toss-up as to exactly what the problem is. Good luck.

Old 07-14-06, 09:24 PM
dcdomain
Visiting Guest
Ah that's pretty insightful, never considered that. Thanks!

Old 07-15-06, 05:59 PM
Washing Machine Drain Issues

I do not have the same problem as you but I will upon my next washer purchase. I had a washer repairman come out to look at my washer and found that it was too costly to repair it. Hozever, my house was built in 1972 and the repairman said that the drain pipe that I currently have is too small to handle the amount of water that a newer washer will dispense. I will have to replace stand up drain pipe with a larger one if I am to replace it with any of these high efficiency washers.

What I want to find out is there any info out there on replacing this drain myself? Also, I will through in there that my house was built on a concrete slab. So I know that the plumbing is challenging (to say the least) when it comes to any repairs. Can anyone give me any tips?

Old 07-15-06, 07:40 PM
yopinch, welcome to the DIY Forums.
You need to run a drainline the full size (2") all the way to the main drain. Should you try to shortcut it by only using the larger pipe for a short distance, you will end up with back-up problems. The newer machines put out a high volume of water in a short period of time. Good luck.