Bathroom sink drain pipe

Old 11-22-03, 05:29 PM
moxen
Visiting Guest
Question Bathroom sink drain pipe

I needed to replace the drain pipe (the one that goes into the wall" not the trap. Anyway, it looks as if this is cast iron that is in the wall with a nut then the drain pipe goes into that. I now have broken off the drain pipe, but still that nut will not move. I am assuming I need that off in order to put the new drain pipe in. Please help. Thanks.

Old 11-22-03, 05:40 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You need to cut it out, use a sawsall, cut a couple of slots only to where this threads into the wall fitting, afterwards a few good hits with the hammer and it should come out of there.

Old 11-22-03, 05:44 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If it has a nut threaded on it, it's galvanized, NOT cast. But, it may go INTO cast!

You will need to remove the nipple that goes into the wall. You broke the male threads on it -- it's trash.

Get a pipe wrench, soak the threads with WD-40 overnite (or at least for several hours, and try to unthread the nipple. What sometimes works is to TIGHTEN it first -- this breaks the years of corrosion loose -- SOMETIMES!!

The next alternative would be to open up the wall and use a Sawzall to cut the pipe above and below the tee, and use Fernco couplings to install an ABS tee in its place.

Let us know how you are progressing.

Old 11-22-03, 06:05 PM
moxen
Visiting Guest
Is there a "big socket" I can fit around it? I can't seem to get enough leverage to break it free because it pretty much butts up against the wall. Thanks for the quick responses.

Old 11-22-03, 06:17 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The "big socket" or a big wrench are pretty much going to be out of the question -- the socket, and a breaker bar or ratchet to operate it are going to set you back almost $100. I doubt that you have enough room under the cabinet to use more than a 14" pipe wrench -- 18" at the max. A pair of 14" channel lock pliers are cheaper than a 14" pipe wrench -- but I'm not sure that you will get enough leverage with eith to break the nut or the pipe loose.

Start thinkin' Sawzall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: