water level dropping on a toilet?

Old 11-23-03, 01:43 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
water level dropping on a toilet?

Hi,
Had 2 Toto toilets installed up stairs. The 2 bathrooms are across the hall from each other. Both toilets fill up fine, and the water level inside the bowl and tank is perfect after filling up.
The problem is that in one of thew toilets, after a while the water level in the Bowl drops somewhat. It is fine in the other toilet, but in one the water level goes down. Now I think I have figured out that this happens after a few flushes in the other toilet. This is what seems to make the water level in the other toilet go down...any ideas/what can I do?
Thanks
George

Old 11-23-03, 06:34 PM
Improper venting could cause the problem. It could also be a bad blowout plug in the toilet. It is not too uncommon for that to happen also. The blowout plug is used to fill a hole in the casting necessary for the toilet to be cast properly. A claylike plug is put in the blowout hole by hand and the toilet is fired. If the plug is not completely water tight, it will allow the water level in the bowl to drop part way. It will never go completely dry and it does not have anything to do with the use of other fixtures. Try to figure out exactly what the conditions are when the level drops. It will make it easier to nail down the problem.

Ken

Old 11-24-03, 02:45 AM
G
Hi,
I never had the problem with my old 50 year old Case toilets dropping level....I wonder if I should go up into the attic and take a look at the connections between the vent pipes...maybe they have to be siliconed. I believe there is a type of "hair" where the pipes are attached? Thanks
George

Old 11-24-03, 04:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Must be the oakum in a cast iron stack. That won't create a venting problem.
A clogged vent pipe or closely plumbed toilets can sometimes have a venting problem.

Old 11-24-03, 09:04 AM
G
that's what it is: oakum...couldn't remember the name. If it is coming loose, can I replace it with silicone caulking up in the attic?
Thanks
George

Old 11-24-03, 03:28 PM
A
Like Old Guy said, Oakum is probably not the problem. If it is leaking, it is allowing air to be sucked in, which is what you want in a vent. You probably have a clogged vent above the toilet with problems. With no venting, water is syphoning out of this toilet. Go up on the roof, look into the vent and see if it is full of leaves, twigs, a bird's nest or whatever. Remove what you can see, and then run a garden hose down the vent. It should drain readily if it is not plugged.

Old 11-24-03, 05:53 PM
G
Hi,
Do you mean to run water right into the vent on the roof.........At the risk of sounding stupid, will this water go into the toilet......?
What can I do if it doesn't drain readily?????
Thanks for your help. I have to be explained things, then I can usually do it pretty well.
George
p.s. I have a septic tank system

Old 11-24-03, 06:30 PM
Use a good flashlight to look inside the vent. See if it is clear.
Next stick the garden hose right in the vent and turn on the water, if water backs up and out onto roof, you have a clogged vent. Only way for water to come out toilet is if clog is below the toilet level. (this is not the trouble you are describing)
Run water until you are sure vent is cleared, without flooding restrooms.

No stupid questions are ever too stupid. It's your house and you are doing the work. We want to make it as clear to you as needed.
More questions ask away and someone will answer. Good luck.

Old 11-24-03, 10:15 PM
A
Originally posted by geoss
Hi,
Do you mean to run water right into the vent on the roof.........At the risk of sounding stupid, will this water go into the toilet......?
What can I do if it doesn't drain readily?????
Thanks for your help. I have to be explained things, then I can usually do it pretty well.
George
p.s. I have a septic tank system
George,

Yes, I meant run the water right into the roof vent.

If the clog were below the toilet, the toilet would not flush, it would then overflow onto the bathroom floor, or back up thru the bathtub or lavatory.

A good flashlight helps (like Notuboo says), but, it is even better in low light (at dusk, dawn, cloudy days, or at night). However, there are hazards associated with being on the roof at night!

The water from the garden hose will normally clear the vent pluggage, or will overflow onto the roof. If it overflows onto the roof, then you need to use an auger to clear the vent.

Whether you have a septic tank, sewer system, or it runs out on the ground, does not matter. This is downstream of your problem, and the water in your toilet does not know (or care, or even know how to react to) where it is going somewhere downstream.

AND, as earlier stated, the only stupid questions are the ones not asked. If you need more help, please post back.

Old 11-25-03, 04:44 AM
G
Thank you so much

Thanks everyone for your answers. I have someone coming to install a snow stopper rail on part of the roof...will have him lookm down into the stack. IT is risky for me because it is a pretty good size sloped metal roof, so plain and simply I am scared..I could spray into the vent from a ladder, but will not get a strong flow, plus maybe the blockage is near the top of the vent(nest)....But from what you people are telling me, I can see leaves gradually over the years finding themselves into the vent and settling where there is an angled joining.
Of course I could go up into the attic, and try to take a joint apart and see if anything is there???? Nah, I'll go from the roof first.
Thanks
George

Old 11-25-03, 05:22 AM
I had a semi-petrified squirrel stuck in a vent once causing very similar problems.
Cable rodder just made him go on down the drain, so to speak.
A pitched, metal roof is probably best left for someone who has the right equipment and safety ropes.

Good luck on your drain

Old 11-25-03, 07:01 AM
G
Thanks everyone!!!!!1Really appreciated!

George, proud father of a recently honorably discharged Sgt. from the U.S. Marine Corps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: