replacing a bathtub

Old 11-26-03, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
replacing a bathtub

I have a 5'x8' bathroom with the tub, front apron 5' installed accross the 5' end of the room. It has an old drain plug which consists a vertical lenth of pipe in the floor along side of the tub with another pipe with handle which you raise or lower to fill the tub. I know there is a name for this but don't know it. I want to replace the tub but I am reluctant to start as I don't know if I will be able to get under the tub to make the drain hookup and if the new tub will align with the existing pipes. I dont see any reason why I cant use the existing drain control along with the new one which would go with a new tub? I do not want to rerout or change the existing pipes and traps. this bathroom is in a co-op which prevents me from accessing the pipes from below. Thank you for any help you might offer.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-03, 08:57 AM
In my opinion I would suggest updating your drain assembly for your tub.

They make foot-lok stops, Lift n Turn, and Trip & Waste assemblies that work either down through the overflow assembly or at the shoe in the bottom of tub where water drains out.

What you are describing is old style found on older homes. I would only suggest keeping this for aesthetic reasons only to keep with the age of the home.

Tieing back into the drain line under the tub usually only requires minor alterations to make this new application work.

Old 11-27-03, 11:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I also would buy the new drain assembly... You can get a PVC one for about $12... As for the access, you will DEFINITELY need access to the drain assembly when it comes time to change the tub, so if you can't get to it from below, you will have to have access to the wall at the head of the tub (behind the drain)...