Old toilet partial flush

Old 11-28-03, 07:14 PM
lttlbrch
Visiting Guest
Old toilet partial flush

Ok, I have just purchased a house and my main bathroom has a very old toilet. Donot want to replace it yet. My problem is this, When we try to flush it will not, Water will drain out of tank and into bowl and bowl will drain a bit but will not take down toilet paper. If I dump a bucket of water into the bowl it will flush. I have tried to clean the jet holes with CLR ( and tapeing the holes to have the CLR stay in there for 10 hrs ) It looks like it gets a good water flow. Water level in tank sits @ 1inch down from the overflow pipe.

I will try anything to get this to work?

Old 11-28-03, 07:37 PM
trenchlessman
Visiting Guest
you need to pour muratic acid into the over flow tube inside the tank, (1/2 gallon)also use a coat hanger to help clean the flush holes under the rim as you state.(first) then you need to use a toilet bowl auger and auger the bowl out.(After soaking) I have seen lime deposits plug the flush way. also in the bottom of the bowl there is usually a flush hole about the size of a nickle, I have seen this hole plugged solid.Use an ice pick or small screw driver to clean out calcium deposits. Hope this helps. Use saftey glasses and rubber gloves. cover bowl and tank with a towel while the acid is soaking.

Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBER; 11-28-03 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-28-03, 08:03 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I agree with trenchlessman. Muratic acid has had excellent results with old toilets with calcium buildup in areas where you cannot visibly see that affect the operation of the siphon jet process to remove human waste and toilet paper from the bowl trapway.

Just use extreme caution when using this........it is harmful to breath or get on your skin.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: