Lime in well-water!

Old 12-08-03, 02:13 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lime in well-water!

Help, please! I live in a small house a few miles away from the city I work in, and am not connected to city water. My water is supplied from an underground well, and is fed to the house through a Culligan-installed and -maintained RO water softening system. But the well-water still has a great deal of lime (calcium carbonate?) in it when it gets to the house. As a result, every plumbing fixture in the place is falling apart and/or plugging up, especially on the hot-water side. I know the lime is going to kill the water heater in short order, too, unless I can do something to reduce the lime content. If anyone has any advice or experience in this matter, I sure would appreciate your input! Thanks in advance... - Chris

Old 12-08-03, 03:03 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Why don't you check with Culligan about a sodium ion exchange softener that removes calcium and magnesium?

Old 12-08-03, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Old Guy is right about using a softener to remove the minerals.

Culligan is a company that can offer a solution but you can get quotes from several other companies.

You can collect a few ounces of water that didn't go through the RO unit and take it to different suppliers and they will usually test the sample at no charge.
Once they establish the grains/gallon of hardness, sizing the softener is fairly simple.

If you do this let us know the details of your water.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: