Replacing P-trap

Old 12-27-03, 05:31 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Replacing P-trap

I am replacing my bathroom sink/cabinet with a pedestal sink. I purchased a set of brass hardware; however, the p-trap will not fit the line coming out of the wall. The salesperson at the place I bought it said "it only comes in one size, it has to fit". Any suggestions? Do they sell an adapter or something?
Old 12-27-03, 05:43 PM
Plumber2000's Avatar
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 5,696
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
P-trap come in 1-1/4" and 1-1/2" what size due you have?

Is it too small or too large?

Sounds like your trying to use a 1-1/2" trap on a 1-1/4" stub, if so get a 1-1/4" trap.
Old 12-27-03, 08:27 PM
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Arlington, WA
Posts: 8,670
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Or you have an 1-1/4" trap and a 1-1/2" stub coming out of the wall.


The pedestal is going to hide the trap. A PVC trap will last pretty much forever -- brass will corrode in 10 to 15 years. PVC costs about 1/10 of what the brass trap does.

Put in a PVC trap and use the fat washer to convert from the 1-1/4" trap to the 1-1/2" stub, or just just a 1-1/2" trap!
Old 12-27-03, 11:40 PM
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: KY/OH
Posts: 3,362
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The part your talking about could be a desanko. 1.5" X 1.25" if there is a hub of a fitting exposed to put this into.

If not, your looking for a trap or marvel have 1.5" out of wall.......and trap is 1.25",,then 1.5"X1.25" adapter.

Or, you can buy that same adaptor and use a 1.5" ferrule and straight connect if the trap is 1.5".

Or, you can use that same connector and use a 1.25" ferrule to go from 1.25" p-trap to 1.5"pipe.

They make a cone scussion that will fit either size trap you have to cover that fitting you need for the transition.

Might be confusing what I typed, but if you take a pic, one of us will know exactly what you need to get you connected.

All the fitting really is is a male adaptor made for the application for a pipe to go inside it with a nut with a built in compression ferrule or a separate ferrule that slides over the pipe and creates the the watertight seal. The ferrules come in two sizes, 1.25" and 1.5" for tubular PVC.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: