Tape Vs Joint Compound

Old 01-04-04, 11:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tape Vs Joint Compound

Are there situations where one is better than the other. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using one over the other if any. Are there situations where one should be used but not the other.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-04, 04:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

Nope. None. Nope. IMHO.
It's simply a matter of preference by the person needing to seal a threaded connection.
I personaly prefer tape because it's less messy, but I've used both for years.
There will be as many opinions about it as there are noses. LOL

Old 01-05-04, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator
Received 34 Votes on 32 Posts
rav12:

I too use teflon tape almost exclusively and like the pink stuff but wil occasionally see some instructions require the use of teflon tape on plastic fittings.
Water softeners I recently installed is one example.

Could be some liquid sealants react with plastic?

Old 01-05-04, 11:17 AM
M
On water supply lines I always use tape because Teflon is completely inert, whereas the oils/grease in thread compound can leach into the water. Everywhere else I use compound because it never leaks, while I occasionally have to redo a taped joint that's seeping. That could be just me, maybe the pros never see a drippy taped joint...

Old 01-05-04, 02:25 PM
Use tape on plastic fitting and pipe dope and or tape and metal fittings.

It is very easy to over tighten plastic fitting if you use pipe dope on the threads

Old 01-05-04, 10:53 PM
I was curious to see what people thought of this.

I've found that that for gas lines the tape (yellow stuff) works really well particularly on black steel gas piping. Almost always gives a 100% leak tight joint.

On copper water lines though I've found that tape does not lubricate the threads as well as the joint compound and even if you make the fitting really tight they occasionally leak slightly - 1 drop an hour or so. It can be a real pain to finish a run of piping with soldered joints and then find a leak in a threaded fitting and have to undo. So I tend to use joint compound on these kinds of fittings although it can be a messy experience. Maybe the pros have diffrent view.

I guess you can use tape/joint compund to lubricate the threads in other kinds of fittings like compression, flare etc but is probably not cirtical since the threads are not actually used to make the seal.

Old 01-06-04, 04:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

Yes, you can use pipe dope or tape on the brass ring ferrules if a compression fitting is leaking (you're right about the threads no being the seal).
I've never had a flare fitting leak, but I suppose that you could use pipe dope on it.

Old 01-06-04, 05:07 AM
I always use a non-teflon pipe dope on black iron piping.

Copper, I use rector seal.

Tape on plastic only.

Anything else, whatever it takes.

just my preferrences.

Old 01-06-04, 07:28 AM
E
enigma-2
Visiting Guest
Mr

Originally posted by rav12
I've found that that for gas lines the tape (yellow stuff) works really well particularly on black steel gas piping. Almost always gives a 100% leak tight joint.
this is somewhat unrelated, years ago i was an inspector for underwriter's laboratories.

during one of my routiene inspections, i was inspecing a factory where they built factory-build housing (this is when the tape was first introduced. up until then, everyone used pipe dope.)

anyways after they started using tape, the gas tests begin to fail, the gas valves were leaking (this was during a 3 psi pressure test w/o appliances connected. had to hold 3 psi for fifteen minutes w/o pressure loss.)

after an investigation, i found that the tape was a little slipperier than pipe dope, and the plumber couldn't feel the joint between the pipe and valve snugging up, so he was applying extra pressure to snug the joint.

this distorted brass valve body and allowed the gas valves to leak, even though they were completely closed.

(after he changed every valve on the prod line and in the yard, he went back to pipe dope.)

this is about the only negative thing i can think of concerning tape, i use it for all my diy projects.

Old 01-06-04, 10:28 AM
M
I've used rector seal for odd repairs like sealing drips in worn-out undersink pop-ups or misaligned and dripping P-trap joints.

Old 01-06-04, 10:31 PM
Interesting about the leaks in the valves. I guess it is easier to bend/warp brass that it is steel.

Can someone educate me on "rector seal". What is it exactly?

Old 01-07-04, 05:28 AM
Rector Seal is a brand name for pipe dope. It's a good product.

When you read the manufacturer's instructions for just about any gas control valve, there will be a disclaimer on not using teflon tape or impregnated teflon pipe dope.

Enigma is very right about the metal housing warping and no amount of dope or tape will make a tight seal that will last.

Old 01-07-04, 11:51 PM
Thanks for everyone who replied for your inputs