Old Steel Drain Pipes

Old 01-07-04, 06:07 AM
Mistaker
Visiting Guest
Old Steel Drain Pipes

I recently discovered a leak in the drain pipe for the kitchen sink. At first it just drained slowly, and then while plunging it metal chards started coming back. Finally, I went into the basement and noticed the leak. I have determined that the leak is inside the wall and would like to attempt to replace the pipes. I have two questions.

#1- These pipes are fozen together... How do I get them out of there? I tried to turn them with a pipe wrench, but they won't budge.

#2- Do I have to use steal again? I am not going to replace the whold sewage system, but do want to use pvc in this new section. How do I attach the pvc to the old steel (is that possible)? I plan on replacing the entire sewar system eventually, but can't do it right now.

Old 01-07-04, 06:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Sounds like your drain/waste/vent system is probably a combination of leaded sectional cast iron for the larger drain pipe and galvanized steel for the smaller drain pipe.
The easiest way to remove them is with a reciprocaating saw with metal-cutting blades, or a snap-cutter made for the purpose on the cast iron.
Be aware that this type of system is very heavy and requires support underneath before cutting anything loose. If you're eventually replacing the whole d/w/v system, start at the top and work down.
The first thing to do is to contact your Building Inspection Department for local code, permit and inspection information on what is required and allowed.
You should be allowed to replace the bad section with PVC white plastic, but some jurisdictions still require the cast iron.You connect the old and new pipe sections by no-hub connectors.
Good Luck!

Old 01-07-04, 07:28 AM
Mistaker
Visiting Guest
Thank you! I just cut throught the wall to see what was going on with the vent pipe. It happens to be located in the basement, not directly behind the sink. I think this will make things a little less complicated.

You have been a great help.

Old 01-07-04, 11:13 AM
Mistaker
Visiting Guest
More on my old drain pipes

Okay, I was able to get the old leaky pipe out, except it's not the sink... It was the original sink location. My question is this: Where is the vent? Let me describe the pipes. From my sink, the pipe goes straight down and to the left towards the sewar. Where it goes left towards the sewar it also goes right toward the original sink location. The original pipe location was not plugged and was broken at the top (where the original wall pipe connects). This is where the leak was coming from. I am assuming it did this because of a plug somewhere in the pipe and the water backed up to the original open pipe.

Now back to my question. If I replace the T joint in the basement (the one where the pipes go one way to the sewar and the other to the unplugged original sink location) with a 90 deg. joint, will this effect the efficiency of the drain? Was that old drain pipe acting like a vent?

Thank you for your help.

Old 01-07-04, 05:53 PM
L
If you open the cabinet doors and look under the kitchen sink, you should see a P-trap, and the tail piece of that trap should run horizontally into the wall. It "should" be going into a tee. The water will hit that tee and go down, towards the basement. Out of the top of that tee "should" be the vent. If it can't run all the way up and out the roof (maybe a window above the sink), it should go up to a point at least 6" above the countertop, then will elbow to a side, go past the width of the window, then elbow and go up again. THAT'S where the vent is, or at least where it "SHOULD" be!!

Old 01-07-04, 07:11 PM
Mistaker
Visiting Guest
Herein lies the problem... Where the vent "should" be, it is not. Do I need to install one? The "T" you described in your note is a 90deg. elbow behind my sink. The drain seemed to work pretty well without the "T" and it will be very difficult to install a new vent. I think it can be done, but I may have to rip out the cabinets to do it. This may be a good excuse for a new kitchen. What do you think?

Old 01-07-04, 08:55 PM
L
Perfect excuse to do a new kitchen, at least in my book!!

If there's an elbow in the wall, instead of a tee, that essentially forms an "S" trap -- and they just aren't legal! ("Sorry, honey, time to bring the kitchen drains 'up to code', and that means we're gonna be lookin' at the studs!!" It worked for me, ONCE.) Where the vent is, I have no idea, at least not at this point.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: